Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,870   Online: 1043

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Actually a pretty large percentage of the B&H staff is Orthodox. I doubt they have enough non-Orthodox employees to keep it running during the holidays, and even if they did, they still might close as a matter of principle.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cvik
    However, speaking of religion, I do find it odd that such a large store actually closes during a holiday. I doubt all employees belong to the same religion, but then again I wasn't aware that they live highly orthodox religious life.
    I have often wondered the same thing. I know they lose a little business during this time, but I am sure that they know that as well. If I worked there I wouldn't complain since I would get a long vacation with no religious obligations, but as a customer it is an inconvenience.

I order stuff from Freestyle mostly when they are closed for a long holiday, but I have also never bought something that will ship within two weeks about two weeks before the holiday. Something to think about certainly if ordering something from them that is not in stock.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I worked in the photo store, we bought alot of our supplies at B&H, Freedom and a couple of the others back east that are all run by Orthodox Jewish, and you would be surprised at the time that we were ordering from B&H and Freedom, in both those companies, exactly one employee was not Orthodox Jewish, I visit back that way once and went around to the many suppliers we were buying from and it reminded me of the diamond trade when you visited their facilities, really a great many of the guys wore the little hat(forgot the name of it) and had the curls, they are indeed very highly orthodox business's

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Actually a pretty large percentage of the B&H staff is Orthodox. I doubt they have enough non-Orthodox employees to keep it running during the holidays, and even if they did, they still might close as a matter of principle.
    I have dealt with B&H for years and I am very used to the religious issues associated with doing business with them... The good news/bad news is that they are probably the last completely stocked and best priced outlet in the industry. It's basically twice a year (fall and spring Jewish Holidays) and Saturdays where there are issues. I have also visited the store and 99% of the staff is Orthodox Jewish individuals.

OK team, this organization is pretty liberal here, and I thought that as mostly liberals, we try to value diversity. I find that that with all of their warts, they are probably the best place on the entire planet that you can still shop for photo equipment of any kind. To me, I just try to work around the religious issues; also, I tend to purchase things in bulk and it is very predictable when I am going to run out of products.
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cvik
    Laz: For me, this has nothing to do with faith or religion, and I care less about the reason. If the company was two weeks in Bali, celbrates sokkus or ramadan or whatever the reason - it just don't matter to me. However, speaking of religion, I do find it odd that such a large store actually closes during a holiday. I doubt all employees belong to the same religion, but then again I wasn't aware that they live highly orthodox religious life.
    Paul pretty much answered this. But I have to say that while you may not care what the reason, it is still a matter of each of us understanding and respecting the beliefs, traditions, the differences between human societies. There would be a lot less trouble in this world if we could all do so.
    -Bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope that I didn't come off as insensitive. I also wonder about Hobby Lobby, for those who know them, since they close on Sundays for similar religious reasons. I find it perfectly appropriate that they decide to close on those days. Of course, I also find it perfectly appropriate for me to find another source when I want to get something and they are closed. I am certain that they are aware of this and are willing to lose the business on principle. I actually have great respect for that.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by esanford
    OK team, this organization is pretty liberal here, and I thought that as mostly liberals, we try to value diversity.
    A persons political leanings, should have nothing to do with whether they value diversity or not. Valuing others should go beyond political labels; it is a matter of treating others as you wish to be treated. FWIW, I am deeply conservative.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am not Jewish, and i am not crazy about the level of customer service, however, i always respected them for " putting their money were their mouth is", so to speak.

It is very costly to close up a business.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi, I am sorry you had such a bad experience with B & H, I almost got caught with their holiday schedule this past October too, I put an order in at 11:56 PM, four minutes shy of their midnight deadline, I thought no way will my order make it, but it was processed immediately, and like all my previous orders, it was at my door within two days, now that's what I call customer service, the holiday shut-downs may at times be inconvenient, but their competitive prices make up for it in my estimation, I don't work for B & H, but I recommend them all the time, I hope you give them another chance, good luck!
    Cheers, Krystyna

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JustK
    I almost got caught with their holiday schedule this past October too, I put an order in at 11:56 PM, four minutes shy of their midnight deadline,
    I'm not that familiar with B&H (only ordered through them a couple of times), but it is possible they are not real rigid on the deadline time. Jewish holidays always start at sunset the day before (as does the Sabbath day), not midnight like most people expect.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin