Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,737   Online: 762

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    but it is possible they are not real rigid on the deadline time. Jewish holidays always start at sunset the day before (as does the Sabbath day), not midnight like most people expect.
    Their ordering deadlines do not co-inside with the start of the holiday or sabbath. The deadlines are in advance of the holiday to allow time for the orders to be processed and sent out before the start of the holiday. B&H closes early on every friday to ensure that everyone is home before sundown.
    -Bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As David stated, the photography supply houses in NYC are alnost entirely Orthodox Jewish enterprises. Before B&H became the dominant store (with Adorama in significantly second place) there were a number of such enterprises (which shall remain nameless) that made your worst imaginable experience with B&H seem as if you were dealing with your own family on a good day by comparison. I've had the impression, bolstered by many dealings with B&H and Adorama, that they've made a firm and consistant commitment to never allow that kind of reputation to form about any aspect of their dealings with customers (in fact, their check out staff seem almost to be rehearsed in courteous behavior when you speak to them). So...yes, they have bad days like anyone else, but they're light years ahead of what such places used to be, and no worse than other businesses of similar size.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laz
    The deadlines are in advance of the holiday to allow time for the orders to be processed and sent out before the start of the holiday.
    Yes, thanks for clarifying that, it is in advance. I haven't looked at their calendar on-line, but I know that this year, for example, the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) started at sunset on October 12th, so I assume their deadline would have been midnight October 11th.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi all

I love B&H. Yes love. I was able to buy a brand new Nikon Lens from them for the same price I would have had to pay for a used one here in Australia. Won't even tell you the price of a new one for fear of having to breathe into a paper bag. Having never bought from them prior to this I had lots of questions which they promptly answered by email. I received my lens in less than seven days from when I ordered it in perfect order. It's a great lens. And I didn't even have to pay any GST or duty on it here. Even more of a bargain.

Here in Melbourne we have a public holiday for a horse race (Melbourne Cup, last Tuesday). Even though some shops are open (offices are closed) people just accept that is the case (not too hard to accept let me tell you), I would never like to see that taken away because money is more important. Actually, I think there would be civil war if any government tried to take Melbourne Cup off the public holiday list. I think it's nice that someone is continuing their tradition, it's not hurting anyone else, a little inconvenient maybe but I think they more than make up with it in what they offer. I know that 5 weeks is probably too long and I wouldn't be happy about that either, but it obviously has to do with their closing and timing rather than being a normal level of service from them. Not that anyone has to purchase from them because there are other choices but when I did a search on them prior to making a purchase they came up the best in terms of other peoples experience with them and purchases made. Lots of complaints about other stores on the internet so I stayed away from those.

I don't mind a little loss of customer service (not that I have experienced that with them) to have access to the great choices and prices that B&H offer. Just as an addition to that since finding this forum I have also ordered and received film from J&C. Also great service and prompt delivery. Once again I have 25 ISO film to use again which I can't buy here.

Regards

Kathy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've dealt joyfully with B&H for a LONG time. They are efficient, economical and reliable. As with all things, consider who you are dealing with, accomodate their lives, and prosper together. They are the champion in reliability, and the most dependable photosupply place I know.

For what it's worth, I don't work on Sunday, and shut things down 2 weeks before Christmas. If I can keep holidays, it is my joy THEY can keep holidays.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Not only on this site, but others as well, I have heard of the many trails and tribulations when dealing with B&H. I have never ordered or bought anything from them and based on what I have read I most likely will not buy anything from them.
    I work very hard for what money I have and I am not going to spend it where my business is not appreciated or where I am not treated the way I expect to be treated.

Buying from B&H is a personal decision based on your willingness to put up with their business practices.
    "He who expecteth nothing,
    Shall not be disappointed." Robert Willingham, 1907

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    A persons political leanings, should have nothing to do with whether they value diversity or not. Valuing others should go beyond political labels; it is a matter of treating others as you wish to be treated. FWIW, I am deeply conservative.
    Ha Ha ha ha!!! FWIW, I was making a joke. I HATE THE WORD DIVERSITY. Because it is code for something other then what the word means. By the way I share your political leanings....
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by esanford
    Ha Ha ha ha!!! FWIW, I was making a joke. ....
    I guess I am a bit slow on the uptake. Doh!!! :rolleyes:
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Gary, I don't think APUG has blasted B&H as you are saying. I personally think that buying from B&H is about as safe as you can get. If they didn't do a great job overall, they wouldn't be one of the largest photo equipment dealers in the world. That being said, I understand completely that one bad transaction can turn some people away from a company. I dare say there are no companies, especially ones as large as them, that have 100% customer satisfaction.

Me? I'll continue to buy from them. While I don't think customer service is their strong point, I think they do a very good job overall.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary892
    I have never ordered or bought anything from them
    I am not going to spend it where my business is not appreciated or where I am not treated the way I expect to be treated.
    based on your willingness to put up with their business practices.
    If you never purchased anything from them where do you get off saying anything?

I'm sorry but you really pushed a button with your thinly Vailed subtext.

-Bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin