Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,454   Online: 853

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The sky's falling in, The sky's falling in, Paris is burning, Paris is burning

I am going to Paris the city of lights, Street fire lights from gasoline with cars on fire and rioting. It's like WTO in Seattle all over again. Should I get a fireproof coat and camera bag. I won't be using a tripod, mine is made of wood. We saved for years to go there and visit the museums and sites and what do you know the country is in a mess. Welcome to the world. Two schools destroyed and more cars burned today and it is a huge national crisis. It appears to be spreading to other countries as well. There hasn't been a curfew in France since the 1960's. My heart goes out to the good people there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When booking a hire car for a trip to Germany today, I was informed that France was off limits, unless I wished to take out an exhorbitant cover.

They then said that as my trip was early January, when the weather is much cooler, it may be possible but to check this out again when picking up the car.

Interesting times we live in, eh?

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Take care

Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    I am going to Paris the city of lights, Street fire lights from gasoline with cars on fire and rioting. It's like WTO in Seattle all over again. Should I get a fireproof coat and camera bag. I won't be using a tripod, mine is made of wood. We saved for years to go there and visit the museums and sites and what do you know the country is in a mess. Welcome to the world. Two schools destroyed and more cars burned today and it is a huge national crisis. It appears to be spreading to other countries as well. There hasn't been a curfew in France since the 1960's. My heart goes out to the good people there.
    To hell with fireproof coats, and camera bags make sure you wear asbestos boxer shorts ! Seriously be very careful before getting your camera out in such a volatile situation, I once without thinking put my camera up to my eye in Belfast with a 300mm lens on it, I aught to have known better I'm a veteran, and nearly got my stupid head shot off, and by the good guys.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If it isn't too late to change your plans, might I suggest Sydney, Australia. A much nicer place to visit, and warmer.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't believe everything you hear in the media, or at least divide by 10. If your in Paris proper, you won't have any trouble visiting the Louvre, Eiffel tower, Invalides, St Germain des Près etc.
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope I get the names right. Boyd happy to hear that you are a veteran, that I can respect, I too am a combat veteran. I'm 53. You are right about discretion. You could get shot and killed in any convience store in where in the world.

Roteague, I get all of my new from CNN and they showed a big, I mean big terrorist arrest in Australia. They claim the biggest ever there. They were reporting that a London type attack was being planned. Although we have long wanted to go to Australia for some 30 plus years.

NikoSperi, your country would have been my first choice for visit but we wanted to see the Mona Lisa, the great Italian treasure, first. My dream is to spend some time in Italy, maybe at an Agroterismo. Not sure of the spelling. I bet it is going to be the most beautiful country I will ever see. You are right about the new and where to go and places to see. The world can be a dangerous place but you can't let it stop you from living.

Thank you all for the information care and interest.
    Curt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Although we have long wanted to go to Australia for some 30 plus years.
    Curt, I hope you get the chance. I've always enjoyed traveling through Australia. I was last there about 3 weeks ago; but only passed through Sydney, I did manage to get stuck in Sydney rush hour traffic on the way home, however.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would like to go to Hawaii first. I live in Wash. State and have never been there. I did pass by on my way to Vietnam back in 1970. I have seen more islands in the South China Sea than America.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would like to go to Hawaii first. I live in Wash. State and have never been there. I did pass by on my way to Vietnam back in 1970. I have seen more islands in the South China Sea than America.
    Hawaiian flies non-stop from Seattle.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just carry a bar of soap and a can of deodorant. Flash them at the rioters & they will run away.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin