Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,452   Online: 944

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clay
    One of my problems with some Asian buyers has been when I get a last minute bid that is huge, and then I never hear from them again. So I end up having to relist.
    In situations like that you might be able to use the "second-chance offer," in which you offer the item to the next-highest bidder. Of course, if you wait and wait and wait to hear from the seller, by the time you give up the second-highest bidder may no longer be interested. It might be worth a shot, though....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier
    But that's no good after the listing has expired and the item has sold...right?

Anyway, this guy is history so what's the best option now. Simply relist? Do the "second chance" thing? Contact the other bidders directly?
    Yep, if your listing has ended you have the option of relisting (you have to pay for the listing and the buyer fee), offer a second chance and explain to the nearest second bidder you did not feel comfortable selling to the other guy. You might want to make it difficult for the buyer to pay you so that you can file a "non paying bidder" claim with e bay and avoid having to pay another listing fee and the commision for the sale.

If I was you, I would ask the guy to make a Western Union payment that you can collect in cash in your home town. This usually puts them off and they dont follow up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In this instant the only way I would sell is as Jorge suggested a Western Union Cash transfer period, that way when you pick the payment up, you will have good ole green in your hands, then it won't matter, and in the future you might look at limiting who may bid on your auctions, I won't accept bids from anyone with less than 90% feedback, I require new members to email me before bidding and I won't accept bids from anyone with hidden feedback, not being discrimitory, but Asia and SE Asia can be a hard challenge when dealing with ebay sales and many sellers will not accept bids from that area of the world.

Dave

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    But that's no good after the listing has expired and the item has sold...right?

Anyway, this guy is history so what's the best option now. Simply relist? Do the "second chance" thing? Contact the other bidders directly?
    Dan,

There's a question that no-one has asked you yet. Did you place any restrictions on either "feedback numbers", "type of payment" or "ship to"?

If you haven't excluded him up front with sale conditions, then (and I hate to be a wet blanket) you have legally contracted with him to sell him the item.

May I suggest that you examine your listing for "outs" and if you have none, maybe you should contact him and being absolutely truthfull about your concerns, insist on Western Union as others have already suggested.

cheers

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Your best option going forward is to offer it to the next highest bidder as a second chance offer. Contact them on the side with a friendly 'message' explaining what transpired with the original buyer and try to put them at ease that your second chance offer is bonafide ebay, not some phony scam. If your 3rd bidder was close at all, offer it to them also.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The first guy definitely has all the hallmarks of a scammer and you wouldn't be wise to sell to him - but he could still give you a negative feedback if he wants to be nasty. I would restrict bidding the next time to the Americas, Australia and Europe. And put in a large "reserve the right to cancel bids" comment. For payments, limit any Paypal to the non-credid card based kind, bidpay, and money orders. I am not too keen on the "second chance" option either (as bidder) - many bidder see it as VERY suspicious (again, due to a large number of scams out there). But try it - it can't hurt now. But DON'T ask the second or third place bidder directly outside of ebay!!! That person could report you to ebay then, which could land you in even more trouble.
    Just my thoughts.

Good luck,
    Chris
    [SIZE=1]Tiptoeing through life's grand theater - and falling down flat.[/SIZE]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Thanks guys for all the good suggestions.... I am now more "ebay-wise" after this adventure.

Cheers

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys for all the good suggestions.... I am now more "ebay-wise" after this adventure.

Cheers
    Keep us posted on this (I'll fall over in a dead faint if this buyer turns out to be okay!)
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is also interesting that this unverified new member with no feedback knew enough to snipe in the last few seconds of the auction...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    It is also interesting that this unverified new member with no feedback knew enough to snipe in the last few seconds of the auction...

Cheers, Bob.
    Indeed, Bob... a mere 10 seconds before listing`s end! And that would have been like 4AM his time! Pretty sharp for a first timer!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin