Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,722   Online: 734

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Is this guy an ebay scammer ?

After a few dozen problem-free ebay sales, I now have this winning bidder from Asia that I am not comfortable with. He is ebay "unverified" and has hidden feedback and has only been registered on ebay since Sept 05. He says he can pay with PayPal.

Now there's no way in hell I'm shipping anything out before payment but question is, what are the scammers up to these days and is PayPal payment a 100% safe sign to go ahead and ship the item out? What tricks do they have (if any) after a PayPal payment is made?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paypal can get you ripped off if a crooked buyer pays with a credit card. I know a guy who sold a $3000 rollei kit with lenses and backs who was ripped off this way. As soon as the stuff arrived, the buyer cancelled the credit card transaction(through the credit card company), and paypal dipped into his bank account and took the $3000 back. So no camera, no money, and no recourse.

One of my problems with some Asian buyers has been when I get a last minute bid that is huge, and then I never hear from them again. So I end up having to relist.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never saw anyone with 'hidden feedback'. Feedback is the cornerstone on which Ebay operates, I see no reason to hide it. In fact I just looked at my ebay options and couldn't find a 'Hide feedback' option, maybe I'm missing something here.Perhaps you could contact Ebay and get them to check he isn't a scammer.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've seen hidden feedback a couple of times. It will hide the comments not the rating. I don't deal with them.

I agree that you should not accept a paypal payment that is not linked to a bank account. Unfortunatly all dealings with Asia are suspect and one should proceed with great caution.
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier
    After a few dozen problem-free ebay sales, I now have this winning bidder from Asia that I am not comfortable with. He is ebay "unverified" and has hidden feedback and has only been registered on ebay since Sept 05. He says he can pay with PayPal.

Now there's no way in hell I'm shipping anything out before payment but question is, what are the scammers up to these days and is PayPal payment a 100% safe sign to go ahead and ship the item out? What tricks do they have (if any) after a PayPal payment is made?
    Stay away from it. You are getting all the signs of a scam. No verification, hidden feedback, short term membership....what else do you need, a neon sign saying "CROOK"....

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Overnight, this guy has removed the private feedbak from his profile and it now shows Zero feedback.... no better. He still shows as "unverified".

This guy makes me nervous. Can I unilaterally cancel this transaction based on his profile? What penalties can ebay impose if I do so and do the selling/listing fees still aplly?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I generally put in my auctions that I reserve the right to reject bids from foreign bidders and those with no/low feedback ratings. I've had good luck selling to Europe, Australia, Canada, etc. The only problems I've had have been in Asia and the Carribean. I'd shy away from him and make a second offer to the next lowest bidder.

Bruce

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceN
    I generally put in my auctions that I reserve the right to reject bids from foreign bidders and those with no/low feedback ratings. I've had good luck selling to Europe, Australia, Canada, etc. The only problems I've had have been in Asia and the Carribean. I'd shy away from him and make a second offer to the next lowest bidder.

Bruce
    I hear you, Bruce, but what happens to the original listing/selling fees etc.. Do I get nabbed for those too?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier
    Overnight, this guy has removed the private feedbak from his profile and it now shows Zero feedback.... no better. He still shows as "unverified".

This guy makes me nervous. Can I unilaterally cancel this transaction based on his profile? What penalties can ebay impose if I do so and do the selling/listing fees still aplly?
    Yes you can, you can remove and block any bids/bidders you want. Scroll down to the help section and there is a section telling you how to remove bids from bidders. There are no penalties for doing this, I have had to do it a few times.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Yes you can, you can remove and block any bids/bidders you want. Scroll down to the help section and there is a section telling you how to remove bids from bidders. There are no penalties for doing this, I have had to do it a few times.
    But that's no good after the listing has expired and the item has sold...right?

Anyway, this guy is history so what's the best option now. Simply relist? Do the "second chance" thing? Contact the other bidders directly?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin