Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,506   Online: 906

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

All I Want For Christmas Is...A Cable Release That Will Last...

Well, today I drove two hours to photograph (one way)...walked a half mile down a freezing beach on Lake Michigan. I set up my camera and composed...hit mirror lock-up....pushed the cable release and nothing.... my cable release broke...again. That's 5 this year.....and it's been a good year. Can anybody tell me of a decent cable release that will last. Why does every cable release brake after a couple months of hard use...is this some kind of conspiracy?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John, you can't use them to swing from tree to tree to get to shooting locations! LOL

I have a cloth covered cable release that I got over 20 years ago, that is still going strong, I think I paid about $40 bucks for it way back when, but if you want something that lasts, you have to pay the price, the plastic covered ones that Kalt and others offer, just don't hold up, get a really good one and it will reward you with years of good service.

One other thing to note, if in this situation again and the cable release breaks, what I used to do, was set up, mirror lock up, set speeds and aperture, then set the time and push the shutter release, the amount of timer will normally be enough to overcome any movement in the camera to settle down.

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a cable release on each of my lenses, but that probably won't help John with his medium format camera. All I can say, is buy the best you can, and carry a spare.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Linhof.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I bought a Hama one (cloth covered) which broke five times. I never got around to returning it the fifth time. A couple of years ago I bought another German-made one, which is the plasticky fibry covered type and it is still going strong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Simmons
    Why does every cable release brake after a couple months of hard use...is this some kind of conspiracy?
    I have a heavy duty Minolta brand cable release. I've NEVER seen this one anywhere before. I got it about 20 years ago from Ken Hansons. I asked for a cable release and the salesman (Ray) that I always worked with took out a Minolta brand one and he said I'll never need another one. He was right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never owned one long enough for it to break. I lose them at a rate of 10 to 20 rolls/sheets per.

Gim

I lose them myself and buy the cheap 4.95 cloth covered ones and always have a spare or two. I have lost my only cable release once and and said "that won't happen again". (but it will).
    Jim

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I buy the Linhof ones. Cost more but well worth the money. I bought the cheap ones and they kept breaking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Older Nikoon, Minolta & Canon releases were really well made.
    Horseman also has(2 yrs ago) a heavy duty job.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin