Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,600   Online: 685

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Unfortunatly this will make it easier for sellers to use 'shadow bidders' to raise prices on their auctions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    The thing that bugs me about this as a buyer is this--

because Bidder #1 was there, my bid is now at the highest amount.

However, if bidder #1 weren't there, my bid would have been at the price of bidder #3 plus the bid increment. As noted by Jim, there can be quite a gap between #2 and #3.

Matt
    Well, you're not obligated to buy when offered a second chance. You are when you win.

If you bid stupidly, you're off the hook. If you bid sensibly, well, then buying at the second chance may not be as good for you as buying at the 3d highest bid plus the increment, but you up for paying what you bid. So where's the problem?

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Well, you're not obligated to buy when offered a second chance. You are when you win.

If you bid stupidly, you're off the hook. If you bid sensibly, well, then buying at the second chance may not be as good for you as buying at the 3d highest bid plus the increment, but you up for paying what you bid. So where's the problem?
    Bidder #1 could have been a deadbeat, a joker, the seller....

Why should I pay more because he bid an amount he isn't paying? If he hadn't bid at all, I would have won the item anyway, at a lower price. Hopefully, my top bid was sensible to begin with, but who would rather pay a higher price?

What if eBay didn't do proxy bidding? You just enter the max you are willing to pay and the system immediately enters that as your bid. It would be very similar to this situation. I would get the item at my top (hopefully, sensible) bid.

I think that if offered a "second chance", one is in a position to offer less. Say, split the difference between my top bid and #3's top bid.

It has never come up for me, but I think that is fair.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's right, you bid only the absolute amount that you would want to pay, no more. I had a second chance notice last year. I'm not sure exactly why the person who won backed out, I think they said they made a mistake or something. I decided to take the second chance. I got it for what I was bidding and that bid was at the limit I had set for myself, not a bidding frenzy. If you have any reservations pass on it and look for another item to bid on. In the end there seems to be more items comming up all the time. I saw a darkroom sink a couple of weeks ago and missed the bidding. A couple of days ago I bought the same one for $66 instead of the $225 which was the last bid I made on the other one. Unless you are bidding on a one of a kind the stuff on eBay are like a bus. Wait a little and another will come along.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    The thing that bugs me about this as a buyer is this--

because Bidder #1 was there, my bid is now at the highest amount.

However, if bidder #1 weren't there, my bid would have been at the price of bidder #3 plus the bid increment. As noted by Jim, there can be quite a gap between #2 and #3.

Matt
    In that case I wouldn't be above messaging the seller and telling him I'd pay a bid increment above #3 if he agreed.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin