Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,968   Posts: 1,558,471   Online: 1013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Ebay's "second chance"... how does it work?

After a deal fell apart on ebay, I now have this "second chance" option I can use. Having never done that before, I would like to hear from you guys who are familiar with this route. How does it work and what does it mean sell-price wise and fee-wise?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You are basically offering the item to the next bidder at the highest price they bid. Sort of a "Buy It Now" at their highest bid.
    JeffW.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    WARNING: Second Chance offers should only come through ebay's messaging system. Fake Second Chance offers are one of the most common frauds there is.

Always contact the seller through ebay to verify the offer.

Apart from that, Elox explained it: The winner backed out or was in some way unsatisfactory, so the second highest bidder is offered to buy the item.

I have accepted such offers, turned them down, and just this week been the target of a fake offer.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Daniel,

Ole is very correct, check your 'my ebay' page for messages, a real second offer will be there. I've done very well once and passed up twice. I haven't been spammed YET.

Good luck with it.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Thanks guys... One more question now pops into mind. As seller, am I supposed to offer this second chance to other bidders or should I simply relist? And, what's the difference in what ebay will charge me for either?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Daniel, I use that option often if I have multiples of something and I'm happy with how the sale ended. You can offer your second bidder the item for his bid, and the 3rd high bidder for his bid if it was enough. Sometimes there's quite a gap between #2 and #3. You won't pay any add'l listing fees but you will pay final value fees for all sales completed. Including #1 that was deadbeat. You have to go in and reverse those fees the normal way. If you make the offer to both 2 and 3 and they both say yes.....you can get in a bind because you then have a legal contract with both and possibly only 1 item to send. Use caution. If it's a major piece, I sometimes message the party I'm sending the 2nd chance to through the ebay message channel, and explain what happened to the #1 bid and why it's still available, and that it is a legit offer all done through ebay channels. I do that because there is so much concern about phony 2nd chance offers right now. It's easy enough to back track and see that one done correctly is legit.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just got this with a lens that I bid on that didn't make reserve. I was the winning bidder. I guess the seller looked through past auctions and realized my bid was a fair price. This was completely through the ebay system BTW.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The thing that bugs me about this as a buyer is this--

because Bidder #1 was there, my bid is now at the highest amount.

However, if bidder #1 weren't there, my bid would have been at the price of bidder #3 plus the bid increment. As noted by Jim, there can be quite a gap between #2 and #3.

Matt

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    --- but the bid now was the maximum amount you were willing to pay, wasn't it?

I know, sometimes the price looks higher when you're thinking about actually paying it rather than just entering a number in a web page...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you did bid on it and wanted it, it's your chance to have it. It's your choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin