Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,892   Posts: 1,520,863   Online: 1190

Shooter
    Multi Format

refrigerate or freeze?

I've seen several threads or posts on here about keeping film in the refrierator, I keep mine in the freezer. Is this ok or am I hurting the film? I've never noticed any ill effects.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have stored mine in the freezer for over 20 years now with no ill effects, during the winter I store in my shop, which is often times below zero, still no ill effects. Cold temps stops the aging process.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Parker; 12-13-2005 at 11:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    More than the way you keep it cool, is the amount of time you let it get back up to room temperature... Let the box/roll stay sealed and closed until it get's back to normal or you run the very real risk of condensation ruining the film.

Freezing will give it a bit more storage life, but MOST people don't store films for extreme amounts of time anyhow. Either way is fine.

joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Symchyshyn
    More than the way you keep it cool, is the amount of time you let it get back up to room temperature... Let the box/roll stay sealed and closed until it get's back to normal or you run the very real risk of condensation ruining the film.

joe

Not around here at this time of the year Joe! Heck I have not seen a day above freezing since about October 25th LOL No chance of condensation right now....

LOL

Dave

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    For most films, sealed in original wrapping, freezing won't hurt a thing and might be marginally better than refrigeration -- but don't freeze any Polaroid product! Freezing will cause precipitation in the developer gel and is likely to lead to poor performance...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    35mm
    If refrigeration is good then freezing is better. Film or other items where freezing is usable generally allow only for problems from radiation.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I keep several hundred rolls of film in the freezer pretty much all the time. When I buy film, I buy a lot at once. Freezing certainly doesn't hurt film at all, it preserves it pretty much indefinitely. I can remember around the year 2000, I shot a few rolls of Kodachromes and Ektachromes that had expiration dates in the 1980's. They had been kept frozen all that time and the slides looked the same as if they were shot on freshly produced film.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin