Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,619   Online: 756

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    At the risk of being stoned..... move to Hawaii!!!
    ....and miss great B+W winter landscapes, no chance!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Mike, you probably already know this, but a lot of body heat is lost by handling the metal tripod legs. I have mine wrapped in that insulation that plumbers use on pipes to prevent heat loss. Take your tripod to the hardware store, measure a section of the insulation and diameter and slit it lengthwise and it slips right over the tripod leg (upper section only). It also makes carrying the tripod over your shoulder much more comfortable.
    Being a Maritimer myself, here's a 'downhome' solution for you -- two hot hard boiled eggs wrapped in foil, one in each pocket. By the time they have cooled down, you have a snack for the walk back.
    Patricia

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great ideas Patricia!
    Thanks to one and all for some wonderful solutions. Think I will combine a few to solve the "popsicle paws" syndrome. A friend of mine works for N.B Hydro and will get me a pair of insulated linesman,s mitts (go 1/2 way to the elbow).I shall make sure they are XL so I can fit a pair of thinsulate gloves inside. Have emailed two companies who make reusable chemical pocket heating sacs.

Thanks Again,
    Mike

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy
    Have emailed two companies who make reusable chemical pocket heating sacs.

Thanks Again,
    Mike
    I reckon go with the eggs ! mind you the sacs can sit and wait to be used for months, just dont eat them
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Langer
    Mike, you probably already know this, but a lot of body heat is lost by handling the metal tripod legs.
    ..and never touch your tongue to your metal tripod legs in sub zero temperatures, no matter who dares you to do it.
    Take it from me
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My warmest pair of gloves I bought around 1981 (still have them) from Marshal Field in Chicago suburbs when it was 20 below (F). They have a wool inner glove and a deerskin outer glove.

I suggest wooden tripods ONLY for outdoor use in cold or even cool weather. Mine's a Ries.

Charlie

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan
    ....and miss great B+W winter landscapes, no chance!!
    Or great color winter landscapes ... you found my secret weakness.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    live near the tropics

lee\c
    I just stay indoors. :rolleyes:

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use a pair of charcoal based pocket warmers, basically these are a metal case in which you place a lit/glowing piece of charcoal. They last about 4 hours, much longer than the chemical ones. I bought mine from a fishing tackle shop many years ago when I was prone to standing on very cold hill tops flying model aeroplanes.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ditto the layers, liners and chemical handwarmers. Those warmers actually help with the batteries in the cameras as well. Luke- MN
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin