Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,610   Online: 1304

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

How to keep your hands warm in the winter.

I just returned from my 1st cold weather shoot of the season (-26c with wind chill) and my hands are still numb.
    Having been born and raised in Atlantic Canada I know how to dress for winter weather but have not been able to find a suitable method of keeping the digits workable. Thought I would toss this quandary out to fellow cold weather photographers and ask them how they prevent finger freeze-up.

Thanks,
    Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy
    Thought I would toss this quandary out to fellow cold weather photographers and ask them how they prevent finger freeze-up.

Thanks,
    Mike
    No pain, no game!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use these gloves but not in the temperatures you work in. I hate it when my hands get so cold that loading a roll of 120 is difficult.
    http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Acce...to_Gloves.aspx

Shooter
    Large Format
    I try to keep moving as much as possible. I also use big fat mittens; inside those I wear army surplus polypro gloves. The polypro is thin enough to enable note taking, knob twisting, etc. When it gets really bad I'll fire up a few chemical handwarmers and keep them in my jacket pocket. If that doesn't work then it's just too cold for me.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Fintan, those are summer gloves!

It is impossible for me to keep hands warm photographing in really cold weather. At a maximum, I use polypropylene glove liners inside insulated GoreTex mittens that pop open so you can use your fingers briefly. Sometimes I use chemical hand warmers inside the mittens or in my pockets. Mostly I use my darkroom because the middle of winter is my favorite time to be there.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As with your other outerwear, the trick is to use layers. In this case, a warm mitten (typically ragg) over a thin glove, like this:

http://www.modernmountainman.com/cat...product&id=763

over this:

http://www.modernmountainman.com/cat...product&id=580

You only take the mittens off when you need to use your fingers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I thought this was what wives were for...?

Possibly this is why I'm still single...! :rolleyes:
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    I thought this was what wives were for...?
    Hah, hah, hah. I'm pretty sure the women would say the opposite. Most of the women I've known have a real dislike for the cold, especially when it comes in the form of your cold hands anywhere on their warm bodies.

I think you'd have much better luck with a dog.
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to have a pair of atomic gloves - toasty warm. Unfortunately, they also made my hands glow in the dark, causing problems with loading sheet-film holders.

I like the design of these , perhaps inside a pair of these .
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wear silk glove liners and then a pair of gloves designed for duck hunting that have pouches for chemical warmers, the fingers open up to allow usuage of the finger from a spot just below the first knuckle, seems to work for me with no problems.

Dave

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin