Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,801   Online: 943

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

What to do with outdated magazines?

I seem to collect magazines like Jay Leno collects cars. Only my magazines are not collectables. I was looking at my poor desk as it was laboring under an ever increasing number of magazines and I though to myself, self, I wonder what my fellow apug members do with their magazines.
    I don't want to throw them in the trash as this increases the land fill.

So I am asking, what do you do with your reading material etc...?

Gary
    "He who expecteth nothing,
    Shall not be disappointed." Robert Willingham, 1907

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I keep them, and build bookshelves, I make the rounds about once a year to read them, every once in a while I take them down to one of the retirement homes, belive it or not, the guys and gals love them.

But most of all they hang around for years and become dog eared...

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm also a magazine fanatic but I realized I was buying too many magazines and really pulled back. I gave my old magazines to other photographers who wanted them. You might consider giving them away or offering them cheap in the APUG classifieds.

Cheers, James

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Simple rule of thumb at my house........One comes in, one goes out.
    Its the only way I can keep from being buried.
    I picked up 100 back issues of Photo-Life from the 80,s at a yard sale for $5.00. Wonderful resource material and great reviews. Thats one of the reasons I cancelled my subscription for the upcoming year. Not one analog article in 2005.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If my local doctor's surgery or hospital don't want them for their waiting rooms I take them to the recycling depot.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I pass mine on to a photographer friend, who then passes them on to an old folks home. Not sure what happens after that, but I dare say they end up at the recylcing plant eventually.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Recycle, recycle, recycle. (You think you'll go back and read 'em but you won't!)
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Large Format
    Donate them to the local nursing home and hospital. Other wise I start tripping over them. Photography magazines I keep, kind of like a reference manual.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've pretty much given up on the "how to" magazines. Lenswork goes on the bookshelf. The "one in-one out" rule applies to the others - when the new issue comes in, I look through the last issue to see if there is anything that I want to keep. Articles get clipped and filed in looseleaf binders. If there are individual images that I especially like, I clip them and paste them in a sketch book. Whatever is left over goes to the recycle bin.

I have a collection of those sketch books that I look through periodically when I feel the need for inspiration.

Then there is Outdoor Photography. I didn't want it - I actually subscribed to PhotoVision but got stuck with OP instead. I drop it off in the recycling bin as I walk in from the mail box - it's not even worth bringing into the house.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I donate mine to local arts centre that still still teaches film based photography. I use to donate to the Evanston Arts Center when I was in Chicago. Now, I donate to the Creative Arts Workshop in New Haven.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin