Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,639   Online: 959

Shooter
    Multi Format

Merry Christmas, From B&H Photo

Not exactly sure where to post this, but I guess Misc Equipment is as good as any...

I was reading an article on MSNBC's web site this morning, when I spotted the words "B&H", which of course caught my attention. Here's the relevant part of a story about non-Christians and wishing someone a "Merry Christmas":

My suggestion is that anyone who thinks that non-Christians cannot, ought not go about with “Merry Christmas” on their lips—should go to B&H, the well-known camera and electronics outlet in New York City run by Orthodox Jews. Here’s why.

Last week my wife went shopping there, looking for an MP3 player that a 13-year-old very much wants for Christmas. B&H had advertised a special deal, at $60, but by the time my wife arrived the special was all sold out. She could get one, she was told, but it would cost $100.

“Are you sure?” she asked the salesman, a pleasant man with a yarmulke pinned to his hair.

“I’m sure,” he said, checking his computer.

My wife pleaded that she was on a tight budget for a good purpose. She had read of Stockings With Care, a volunteer group in New York City that coordinates with social agencies who work with impoverished families. The children have written down their Christmas wishes and through Stockings with Care, social workers provide these “wish lists” to people like my wife who buy the gifts. These presents are given to the parents so that on Christmas morning the children get exactly what they yearn for—and can thank Mom or Dad or other caregiver for making their wish come true. My wife had a list for five kids, and the oldest on it desperately wanted an MP3 player.

The salesman listened to this story, then said he’d see what he could do. He went back to his computer and rechecked the inventory. Sure enough, he found a discounted MP3 player he had overlooked, and even marked it down a notch to $50.

“Take it to the checkout,” he directed my grateful wife. “And Merry Christmas.”

The salesman recognized a mitzvah (good deed) in what my wife was doing, and he replied with one of his own. The moral of the story, if there is one, is that Christmas, though Christian in origin, can unite as well as divide. Or as Jackie Mason might put it, you don’t have to be Jewish to wish someone Merry Christmas. But sometimes it helps.

© 2005 Newsweek, Inc.
    Kinda nice, eh?
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by seadrive
    Kinda nice, eh?
    VERY NICE!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah...nice story. Reminds me of how I just loved the Christmas parties at our school...the name drawings for gift giving and candy that was given by classmates. What a treat! I then would share the story of how wonderful the school Christmas party was to my religious school class at our Synagogue. Never seemed to create an issue or cause a problem and it sure didn't convert me.

So...from this Jewish gal in the deep south, Merry Christmas to my fellow Christians!!!!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin