Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,023   Online: 1112

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

second chance offer, ebay

Has anyone been scammed by one of these?

I've had them in the past and they were easy to spot as scams. The current one I've been offered looks authentic and I'd be very very tempted to take it but there's 2 things that put me off. Seller wants a Western Union payment and he's supposedly in another country (England), goods in US, says he's on business.

I do actually know the top bidder and emailed him to see if he pulled out, waiting for a reply.

These scammers are getting better but there's always something that gives them away.

Clayton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it is a legitimate offer, you will be able to log into your "myebay" and the offer will be listed in your messages, if it is not there, then it is a scam or an offer trying to circumvent the ebay system.

Dave

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    If it is a legitimate offer, you will be able to log into your "myebay" and the offer will be listed in your messages, if it is not there, then it is a scam or an offer trying to circumvent the ebay system.

Dave
    thanks for that Dave, I'll check.

Clayton

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Never, ever pay with Western Union - it's the same as paying with cash. Once sent, the money is gone. Even if it's legit, I would try to pay with something else.

If the item is expensive enough, consider escrow....
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by KenM
    Never, ever pay with Western Union - it's the same as paying with cash. Once sent, the money is gone. Even if it's legit, I would try to pay with something else.

If the item is expensive enough, consider escrow....
    yeah that's what I figured. The item is $1300, no way I'd hand over that sort of cash.

I got an email from the top bidder today to say he paid for the camera and it's been shipped. So that's the end of that one.

cheers guys
    Clayton

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by claytume
    I got an email from the top bidder today to say he paid for the camera and it's been shipped. So that's the end of that one.
    Just a few thoughts:

1) Second chance offers are also permitted if the seller has more than one to sell.

2) The fact that the winner paid doesn't mean the seller is legitimate.

3) Paying for anything via Western Union is just asking to be scammed.

4) If the SCO is in your "My eBay", it still can be a scam.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101
    Just a few thoughts:

3) Paying for anything via Western Union is just asking to be scammed.

Not to be too fussy , but there are many places where Western Union comes in handy. I have had two transactions with an APUG member where we used WU to obtain items from eBay where there were no other payment options and everything worked very well.

Having said that, it certainly DOES pay to be wary.

cheers

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin