Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,814   Online: 1018

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

do you have things in mind that you can't photograph that keep you going ?

i know we all change and our photographic interests change/morph into things that are different, but we always have a seed of what we started with "in the beginning" - memories and other ideas that are always in the back on one's head.

do you have anything that you always think about that you can't or don't photograph that influences how you expose film + make prints ?

every time i see a shadow cast on the kitchen wall, water dripping off my nose to the shower floor, or a piece of glass to be recycled on monday's trash pick-up, i want to photograph this stuff, but i don't/can't for whatever reason --- time/energy ... whatever. -- so i just think about them.

anyone else have things they think about to keep them going ?

-john
    Last edited by jnanian; 12-27-2005 at 04:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Within limitations of my budget, I try to keep my formats and techniques expanded so I *can* take those photographs I might otherwise pass up. Recently, I found I could carry three medium format cameras (two folders and one retracting pinhole), one 35 mm pinhole, plus a couple tiny one-shot pinhole cameras, tripod, and light meter -- and have both hands free. A few 120 cans and a backup cassette of Tri-X in my pocket and I was ready for a whole day of photography, and the only camera visible was the Nettar hung around my neck.

Don't know what I'll do when summer comes and I can't wear that jacket because it's too HOT. Probably go back to my over-shoulder bag of plate cameras, with the tripod over the other shoulder...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I am getting away from photographing "things" and paying more attention to forms, lines, patterns, and textures. Photo 101 stuff but I forgot and got away from it over the years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I tend to look at people all day and wish I had a camera with me. Last semester I had a class with a particular philosophy professor whose blackboard notes were always extremely cool (abstract, whatever). I always wish I had a camera in that class just to photograph the blackboard at the end of the hour.... But I never did...

Jeremy Moore will know what I'm talking about...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Use a LOOP and a GRAIN FINDER.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    ..... Recently, I found I could carry ...... a whole bunch of cameras ...
    WOW !!!

Donald, what are you going to do when the 8x10 bug hits .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre R. de Avillez
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I tend to look at people all day and wish I had a camera with me. Last semester I had a class with a particular philosophy professor whose blackboard notes were always extremely cool (abstract, whatever). I always wish I had a camera in that class just to photograph the blackboard at the end of the hour.... But I never did...

Jeremy Moore will know what I'm talking about...
    Andre,
    Go for it! Pauley is such a great guy that he would not mind it at all and would welcome the chance... would probably just require a print for him on your part.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well this may be to much information but, I never really fall asleep immediately so I usually look at images or walk around locations I'm planning to visit. It is amazing how with your eyes closed how much you can move things around and try different lighting scenarios. In my basketball superstar days (laugh, laugh) Replaying plays and practising shooting while half asleep really did great things. It just kind of carried over to photography once I realized there are no huge NBA contracts coming my way.
    Another strange thing that happens, is while printing. When an image starts to form in the developer it is usually broken down to its fundemental shapes for the first 40 to 70 seconds. At this point I can't tell you how many times I've seen the essence of the idea. It has really helped to cut out the crap and focus an idea. I guess that's why I love to print so much. Every time I print the same image anew it always inspires a better way or new ideas.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I began my photography journey in A portrait studio, loved everything associated with it. Except photographing baby's. I hated that part of the job, I suppose because the babies were smarter than me. When the opportunity to move into catelog and illustration came about I was quick to turn my back on portrait work, totally because of babies (to young to sit up on their own). I loved the adults and the kids over 24 months old. I spent many years doing aerial, commercial illustration and a small amount of portrait work. After fifty or more years of photographing anything that would stand still long enough, I find my self thinking totally about portrait work. I go to bed thinking about it, dreaming, scheming until I wake up in the morning. I then I am more obssessed with the same subject. I beat myself up daily for not persuing portraiture more than I did. I had the finest teachers available but did not take full advantage of them. I rubbed elbows with them for fifty years, but did not believe I was in the same class with them. My portraits won awards, ribbons etc. hanging right beside of theirs,
    but I still felt my work fell short of theirs, even though the judges thought differently. Anyway, as my life in picture making is coming to a close I do find my self reposing, reshooting, and rethinking those portraits I have made so long ago. I have no one to day to sit for me, but I still dream of it!

Charlie...................

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomassauerwein
    In my basketball superstar days (laugh, laugh) Replaying plays and practising shooting while half asleep really did great things. It just kind of carried over to photography once I realized there are no huge NBA contracts coming my way.
    I try to visualize images in my mind as well. Most of the time I never get the shot I imagine, but it keeps me aware for ones that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin