Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,011   Online: 736

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    almost forgot...in the same realm (110) i can also highly suggest the holga 110. i got one on ebay for 1 penny, plus 5 bucks shipping form Hong Kong. It is merely a shell fro some 110 film. the viewfinder folds up, it has a plastic lens and the tiniest shutter release ever made. really simple, smaller than a pentax auto 110. weights little more than the roll of film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffneedham
    almost forgot...in the same realm (110) i can also highly suggest the holga 110. i got one on ebay for 1 penny, plus 5 bucks shipping form Hong Kong. It is merely a shell fro some 110 film. the viewfinder folds up, it has a plastic lens and the tiniest shutter release ever made. really simple, smaller than a pentax auto 110. weights little more than the roll of film.
    I had one of those back when I was a kid (or something very similar). I think I ran one roll of film through it, but I'm not sure I ever got it developed...

Chris

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr
    I've been eyeing these on ebay lately. Prices have come down significantly from a year or so ago. I've watched several with lens or lens and other accessories for prices in the high teens to low twenties.

They seem like nifty gadgets. Photographically-speaking, is it a worthy purchase?

Chris
    I've been think about getting one or two bodies to use for a project where I can get maximum grain. I thought about cutting down 1600 Fuji but there are limited exposure controls with the Pentax as I understand the camera's functions (seems like it only knows 2 film speeds 100 and 400).

Perhaps a Minox 8x11 might be a better choices but I like the idea of having interchangeble lenses and an SLR.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    35mm
    For better or worse, I just won an ebay auction for an Auto 110, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm lenses, the flash, and a motor drive with broken battery cover (common problem I hear).

Off to buy 110 film...

Chris

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The battery cover is very common, and to my knowledge, there is no replacement available. That does no rule out a homebrew fix though...

- Randy

Shooter
    127 Format
    The motor drive is a bit of a waste of space anyway - it's huge, and winds on more slowly than you can do it by hand!

IF course you will want to get the 70mm and the zoom lens (again both bigger than the camera, but great lenses).

These are a lot of fun - my wife (mandy) more or less has the whole system now, including a two regular, and one super body, a full set of lenses (minus the 18mm panfocus), motor drive, both flashes, and various filters and close up lenses.

The results are pretty great! Check out the abstract stuff in her gallery which was shot on the 110, using respooled cartriges.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgall...00&ppuser=8460

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think you can probably get 110 processing here, too. I'm pretty sure these guys even do Minox:

http://www.bluemooncamera.com/

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr
    For better or worse, I just won an ebay auction for an Auto 110, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm lenses, the flash, and a motor drive with broken battery cover (common problem I hear).

Off to buy 110 film...

Chris
    Chris,

How much $$$. Just curious.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by 127
    The motor drive is a bit of a waste of space anyway - it's huge, and winds on more slowly than you can do it by hand!

IF course you will want to get the 70mm and the zoom lens (again both bigger than the camera, but great lenses).

These are a lot of fun - my wife (mandy) more or less has the whole system now, including a two regular, and one super body, a full set of lenses (minus the 18mm panfocus), motor drive, both flashes, and various filters and close up lenses.

The results are pretty great! Check out the abstract stuff in her gallery which was shot on the 110, using respooled cartriges.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgall...00&ppuser=8460

Ian
    Well damn - I'm real impressed! Were these print scans or film scans?

Thanks,

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many years back, I decided to get my very young daughter inspired in photography and spent quite a bit accumulating a full Pentax 110 system for her. She was very young (about 8, I think.... she's 26 now!). She was very mature and trustworthy and I could just let her loose with that rig and was surprised at the results she would get. Her feminist mother felt it was better for fine motor skill development than Barbie doll play but she went through a period of tirelessly posing Barbies in their Corvettes and dream apartments, etc and she quickly developed a good natural eye for lighting and composition. She's kept these skills all these years and is a good photographer (not passionate like dad but has good fundamental skills). Countless rolls of cheap film went through that system for her and it never gave any trouble and she learned to respect and care for decent equipment. I was always glad that I took the chance and spent the money on that little project.
    Craig Schroeder

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin