Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,195   Online: 964

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwardv
    . I took every that I could carry in my backpack.

Correction: I took everything that I could carry in my backpack.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Work and wander out of a rental car. Heidleberg area is great. Many historic bldgs in nearby Spire (I think that is the correct spelling), especially the very VERY old church where centuries of famous (& infamous) leaders are entombed down below. I carried an older M-645 around and film in my pockets. I only wish I had a tripod for night shots. I think 10 days will get you good photo ops for two major areas. I did germany and Belgium in 8 days. Basically Heidleberg and then Brugge.

drew

ps, hope it is warmer than it was for me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    You are kidding, right? A trip like this, and only shooting B&W - what an obscenity!!! RVP50 or RVP100 is the way to go.
    The only reason I shoot black & white is when I think about shooting color, I can never decide... red, or blue, or green.... so, I just stick with black.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm
    Dresden is a must-see place if you can make it. You don't need more than a day or even a half day to spend there if your time is so limited. Just take a night train and get there in the early morning.

Bring enough film with you and have fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't forget that a sturdy metal tripod is an effective defensive weapon if you are getting robbed or mugged. (Thieves in Europe do not carry guns.)

I agree that your plans are too ambitious (classic "American in Europe" mistake). It's best to choose just a few locations and spend at least 3 days in the same place. Trains are better than cars as you can sleep while they are moving, so you gain a day if you plan carefully.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canyoupicturethat
    I am looking for some advice primarily on what cameras to take and how to travel safety, not worry about theft, etc.
    Just make sure you have everything in a zippered pack with locks. For the most part Germany and Prague is very safe during the day. If yiu are alone, just watch for groups Turks, Gypsies, North Africans and street people (I'm going to get labeled for writing this). Mostly in large cities like Frankfurt and Berlin. Not so much in Munich or Hamburg.

One favourite tactic, of which I was a recipient but not a victim, is for one of the women to approach you with a baby in hand asking for handouts while others 'swarm' you also begging. While they are begging, they will jostle you to disguise the fact they are pilfering your pack and pockets. All my packs wered zippered and locked. All my pockets had a few coins only. I got a cheap feel. This was in Rome though, where there are far more Gypsies and Romas.

Don't be afraid to shout for the police if this happens to you. Like cockroaches, they will quickly scamble away at the slightest light on them.

Also, any advice otherwise on the countries, locations to shoot, prohibitions, etc. is of course welcome.
    I walked everywhere when I was in Munich, Hamburg and Prague with a lot of gear. No incidents.

-I will most likely not take the pressman ad I intend to carry one pack overall.

-I am currently considering the f100 and 1 or 2 lenses, and then the TLR.
    Go with this.

-I will be taking night trains, any thoughts here?
    Trains in Europe are NOT like Amtrak. They are always on time, very clean and comfortable, staff is courteous, food is good.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks again...and...film...

Thanks again everyone.

Anyone have thoughts on purchasing film if it comes to that? I imagine the country that spawned Agfa (Germany, right), etc. would have some pro camera shops and such if I really ran out of something, right?

For the tmy, color discussion, no worries, I'll have my ilford bws and my Provia and Velvia with me as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by canyoupicturethat
    Anyone have thoughts on purchasing film if it comes to that? I imagine the country that spawned Agfa (Germany, right), etc. would have some pro camera shops and such if I really ran out of something, right?
    When you don't have much time to spend, you don't wanna rush out and look for any specific kind of film you want to shoot for the rest of your trip.

Bring enough film with you, and that will save your life.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Lots of really excellent advice here already. I don' think I can add anything so, I'll just say thanks to everybody for sharing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart
    Just make sure you have everything in a zippered pack with locks.
    I sometimes carry a "dummy" wallet - full of paper and junk, for such occasions.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin