Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,590   Online: 919

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Traveling to Germany, Prague. Suggestions on gear, safety, etc.

HI all,

I am about to embark on a 10 day trip to Germany mainly, all around the country, and then a side trip to Prague, and possibly Vienna, during that same 10 days. I am looking for some advice primarily on what cameras to take and how to travel safety, not worry about theft, etc. Also, any advice otherwise on the countries, locations to shoot, prohibitions, etc. is of course welcome.

some thoughts to clarify:
    -I shoot in all formats, carrying a nikon f100 setup, yashica mat TLR, and 4x5 Pressman.

-I will most likely not take the pressman ad I intend to carry one pack overall.

-I am currently considering the f100 and 1 or 2 lenses, and then the TLR.

-I will be taking night trains, any thoughts here?

Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Regarding Germany, you might find that the East is more visually interesting than the West, although decaying buildings might not be to everyone's taste.

Prag is very photogenic indeed, and the beer is ridiculously cheap unless you wander into a tourist trap.

You shouldn't run into any trouble taking photos, including LF on a tripod, outdoors. Pickpockets are a fact of life, so keep your cameras safe. Do not put them in obvious photo bags, use an old beaten-up satchel or something. Will you be alone? I like to have someone look after my stuff if I'm hidden under a dark cloth!

Ask for cheap rail travel at a large station in Germany. You might consider a ticket that allows you unlimited travel around Germany. I am unsure about the cost. How old are you? If you are younger than 26, ask about Interrail.

Night trains: sleeper compartments can be locked from the inside, but may prove expensive. I never bothered with them, preferring to rely on looking scruffy and poor to fend off thieves.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I see no issue with your current plans, except I think that you are trying to go too many places, in too short a time.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi, where will you be in Germany? If you are in Berlin I can show you some good spots. Crime here is much less than Washington, DC so don't worry so much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very ambitious plans.

Take one camera, maybe two lenses. Or just the 120. Really.

Really.

TMY will be good to cover everything.

Prague wants 10 days alone. Mute your colors, travel with far less than you think you want to take.

Go slow, have fun. Show us the pictures.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

nyx

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In Prague, be careful in historical centre (charles bridge, prague castle, all kinds of transportation etc) - thieves are VERY active there (using your TLR in those places, you should be safe). Also, don't use taxis if you don't have to - they will try to charge you too much usually.

one note: Some time ago, someone had really stupid idea that professional photographers shoud need some permit to shoot on charles bridge. But how do you know who is professional and who isn't? Well...professionals shoot from tripod. So it's possible, that you'll be told by some active security guard not to shoot on charles bridge from tripod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the advice so far.

I am aware of the trying to cram too much in, that's why its a very flexible plan so far. I'll watch it, though.

I will probably go the route of no tripod, though I will have a small one if really needed.

I look forward to more responses, anyone else have insights not shared so far.

I will try remeber to share the photos with you all upon return.

Thanks

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    TMY will be good to cover everything.
    You are kidding, right? A trip like this, and only shooting B&W - what an obscenity!!! RVP50 or RVP100 is the way to go.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd strongly recommend taking one of those mini tripods. If nothing else a lower viewpoint can make for more interesting photos. Vienna has a lot of sights all within short walking distances in the centre of the city. There don't seem to be many or any restrictions on photography there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One of the most heard expressions I encountered when asking for directions while in Prague, "its just around the conner." Its just around the conner is 4 or more blocks away from where you are asking directions; so be prepared to walk. I took every that I could carry in my backpack. Make sure you are not boxed in by people at the counter, train station, stores, etc thieves works in threes or fours. Have a great time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin