Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,538   Posts: 1,572,756   Online: 829

Shooter
    Multi Format

Really Right Stuff BH-25 Head

I am putting together a lightweight 4x5 kit for my upcoming trip to Guatemala. I will be using a Toho camera on a Gitzo G1228 tripod. Does anyone here have any experience with the RRS BH-25 head? It is rated at 8.8 pounds, which is more than adequate, and only weighs 6.5 ounces. I know that it is probably technically too small, but for my special application will it work adequately? If I wasn't trying to save as much weight as possible I would go with a more robust head, but I will have more gear than just this camera and I don't want to be overwhelmed by it all. Thanks

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd opt for the BH-40, even though it weighs an additional 10oz. It also will support 10 additional pounds of weight.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just bought an Acratech with the rubber knobs for my Toyo field camera. It is very light and rigid. I am pleased with it.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I recently bought a Kirk BH1, after researching heads including ready the RRS site. I've never used a RRS head so I can't offer a comparison but I can heartily recommend the Kirk head.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I own the Kirk BH-3 head. It is lightweight and very strong. I've had a Hasselblad with prism and 250 lens on it. No problem.

I did previously own the BH-1 head and it easily held my 4x5 monorail.

Kirk makes a fine product.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town. I'm sure the Acratech and Kirk heads are very nice, but they are significantly heavier than the RRS BH-25. The 10 ounce difference is equivalent to one of my lenses or even a bit more. I will be carrying quite a bit of gear in addition to the Toho, so I am trying to save as much weight and bulk as I can. I'm not backpacking, but I do have to move everything I bring and when I am at the site the actual dig is a fair walk from the living area. Plus this is the tropical rainforest we are talking about here. Think a lot of heat and humidity. The camera with a lens will weigh no more than 4 pounds which makes me think the RRS head might work and could be worth a try. I guess a phone call to them tomorrow might answer my questions.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'll want to check with RRS soon since they don't always have heads available for purchase. I had inquired about one last december and they didn't have one to sell me. I went with arca-swiss instead and now have to deal with the worst customer service i've ever seen.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin