Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,948   Posts: 1,557,878   Online: 878

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the same combination (3021 & 3047) as Mark H and Mark, and I am satisfied with it so far. It holds my F3 with the MD-4, my SQ-A as well as the 4x5. The center column is reversible and can also be attached horizontally. The legs can be spread all the way out to give you very low-level positions to shoot macro, if you need it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I have the same combination as Mark H and it is perfect. You should take his advice as his initials are the same as mine.
    ditto - 3021 with 3047 head...great combo.
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I use a 3221W with the 3047 head; it works fine with either my 35mm or my 4x5. I am going to replace it with a Carbon One this summer - the tripod is just too heavy to carry in my luggage when I travel.

Jeannette,

I agree with Robert. I have the same setup and it works well either with my 35mm or 4x5.

g

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A 3021 with the 3030 head you already have is a great combination. It's what I use for 35mm, medium format, and 4x5. Now I've got a honking 3050 w/ 3047 head for the heavier 8x10 camera.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Bogen 3021 (aka Manfrotto 055) is a fine tripod. If you like the head you have now, get a set of the 3021 legs and use your 3030.

I now use a Gitzo 1340 as my main tripod but I keep my old 3021 in the tool box of my truck. It's been bouncing around in there for years and it's still solid every time I use it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hmmm... Not sure about the numbering, but that looks like the same unit as my Manfrotto 055 ProB (top tip - if you're after brownie points with the Geordie one, don't get a chrome 'pod! ). It's a big, clunky item, but solid and very stable. Not a huge amount of fun to lug around, but do-able if you can work out a carrying solution. It'll reach to eye level (I'm 6 foot tall) without using the centre column, or drop flat to the floor. The column can also be mounted horizontally.

If you want more versatility then look at the Gitzo Explorer range - superb kit! They can do you a carbon unit too (nicer than the Manfrotto carbons)... if you sell a kidney to pay for it!

I also use a Manfrotto 460 Magnesium head which is cheap, light and very versatile - Highly recommended and a joy to use. To carry the rig I have an Op-Tech tripod strap which is okay once you get used to it.

All the best with whatever you choose.

Frank
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I used to have a 3221 / 3047 until me and it and the Deardorff went ass over tincup down a cliff. The 'dorff and I survived.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    I used to have a 3221 / 3047 until me and it and the Deardorff went ass over tincup down a cliff. The 'dorff and I survived.
    Thank god the deardorff was okay!

just kidding, Jim
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This may have been what Les had in mind:

Actually, I also use the 3221/3047 combo in the field with 35mm, Hassy, 4x5, and even my 8x10 Tachi on occasion. With the heavier cameras, I'll kick out one leg to the wider stance - particularly with the Tachi. But, I watch the wind like a hawk. If it's windy at all, I drag out the 3236 for the 8x10.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the 3221 with the foam on the legs and it is fine with the Hassy and a 250mm, but it is not heavy enough for my Sinar F. It isn't to heavy to throw over the shoulder with the Hassy and hike some distance.

If I lived in an an area there was little wind, it "might" be OK for the Sinar.

I'm still looking for a suitable 4x5 tripod.

Mike

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin