Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,389   Online: 674

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Jeanette, well I could tell you all kinds of tells...but what the gear sits on most of the time (35mm up to the 8x10 Korona) is the same Bogen 3021, with 3047 head. Have just started using a wooden Berlebach - older version, and I (blush) had to learn to tune it up (not sure why I figured it was made that way :o ) Anyhow, the legs are only one part of the story, the head is the other.

If you are happy with what you have and just need to put more solid legs under it, I would go with the 3021 (or 3221 if you like all black). DO pick up something to help you carry it, sling, carry handle (see web site or pick up a catalogue). IIRC you do trek out a bit for those waterfall shots, so a carbon (gasp the $$) might be a good idea, or look at one of the smaller wooden Berlebachs (Matt was using one at the workshop I bet). Good luck..and let us know which one found a new home
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Jeanette, I have a woodie (Zone VI for 4x5) and I couldn't be happier

Mine came with cheap plastic knobs on the legs which were replaced with metal wing nuts. It took me a while to remember to loosen the knobs when hiking and camping in the rain, and the wood would swell...the only thing that would loosen them was bashing 'em with a rock. I also had to replace the wooden top plate with an aluminum one after the original delaminated...apparently it wasn't made to withstand being lashed to the deck of a sea kayak for six months.

Woodies may need more tender loving care, but this one has lasted over twenty years of hard use and will never meet the metal ones I've owned which rest on the bottom of the river...that's where they got thrown after letting me down one too many times.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BWgirl
    I also liked the 3021, just didn't like the 3047 head so got the 410 gear head.
    Now I use a Gitzo 1341 leg set with the 410 head.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Jeanette,

Just another tuppence worth; It might be worth seeing if you can find somewhere where you can actually handle the 'pods before you make a selection.

I was all set to buy a Benbo, until I handled one in a shop and instantly hated it! (I'm sure they are as great as some people say, but I never had an urge to play the bagpipes and just didn't get on with it!). After handling a Manfrotto I went with that and it's worked out okay.

I thought the Gitzo Explorer was way overpriced... ...until I found one in a branch of Calumet's. Actually, I'm quite glad I didn't handle that until after I'd bought the Manfrotto...!
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin