Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,649   Posts: 1,481,286   Online: 745

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Les says I need a 'real' tripod :(

Hi All!
    When I went to the Texas workshop last month, I pulled my tripod out of the back of the car. Les took one look at it and said "I thought you said you had a tripod." Hm.... He said it was too flimsy, and lo & behold... there were a few times when I set up the darn thing that it acted flimsy! :o I'm not sure if it is really flimsy, or if Les like hexed the thing, but I'm looking for a new tripod.

I have my 35mm Canon and My Hassy. I have a 250 lens for the Hassy and that is about the heaviest kit combo I have. I do traipse around a bit since I like shooting waterfalls and other "inconveniently located" things, and of course, a tripod is essential. I like the tripod head I have (a Bogen-Manfrotto 3030) and would like to use that on the new tripod. My current tripod is a Manfrotto 3205LC...the poor thing.

So... what are my options?
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Images
    Bogen 3021 with 3047 head. I've used it for years taking pictures in rocky, watery locations with both 35mm and MF. It's sturdy; each leg is individually adjustable. I think it would qualify as a "real" tripod.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark H
    Bogen 3021 with 3047 head. I've used it for years taking pictures in rocky, watery locations with both 35mm and MF. It's sturdy; each leg is individually adjustable. I think it would qualify as a "real" tripod.
    I use a 3221W with the 3047 head; it works fine with either my 35mm or my 4x5. I am going to replace it with a Carbon One this summer - the tripod is just too heavy to carry in my luggage when I travel.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't know the US Bogen codes for Manfrotto tripods but I use a 055PRO and a 190MF3, the latter a carbon tripod that can carry up to 4Kg. I also use a three way head and a ball head. A 250 lens (not the Sa, right?) is about 1165g according to the V catalog, a 501CM weights 590g and a A12 back is about 450g. In all you should be looking at a tripod and head combo that supports atleast two and half to three kilos. Many good tripods have a hook to attach a bag in the center to give them more weight.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have a long lens on the Canon I bet that's more of an issue then the heavier MF camera. That long lens hanging off the front wanting to pull down. It's not the weight it's the place the weight is. If all the weight is over the head then it's easier on the tripod then if it's hanging out there in space leveraging itself.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You might want to check out a wooden Berlebach Tripod http://www.photobooksonline.com/books/berlebach.html The 2042 model with a Bogen
    3047 head would be a good choice and work well with both the Canon and the Hassy. They're very well made in Germany out of Ashwood. A wooden tripod performs well in frigid weather and has a dampening effect on vibrations- for a sharper negative.
    Also, a wooden tripod SCREAMS "analog photography" so you will be easy to spot amongst the posers and pixelheads
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Jeanette
    I use a Gitzo, well, I have a Gitzo and every year manage to use it a couple of times. Great tripod. Worth a look.

Images
    I have the same combination as Mark H and it is perfect. You should take his advice as his initials are the same as mine.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Benbo MK2 - it's huge and bulky but built like a tank and my secondhand mint condition one was dirt cheap!

Lachlan

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Bogen 3021 with a large ballhead. This has not beeb a satisfacory tripod. I have a Majestic 2051 with Bogen 3047 and it is a very good tripod. If you wish to try it out Jeanette just leave me know.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin