Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,726   Online: 878

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Wayne,

Using the level adjustment without the use of a ball head (later found I needed at least a panning head with Arca type QR) was my initial thought for a very light weight backpacking tripod- thus the Gitzo 1257LVL (and planned to replace the long with the short column) to be used with my Linhof Technikardan 45S. However, as I thought about it and then played with this combination, I found that though I could level the tripod and camera, I could envision that there were going to be many many times that I was going to have to adjust the tripod leg lengths to position the camera the way that it would be needed (which would be potentially dangerous with the camera loaded on the tripod). So as it turns out, I abandoned the idea of the Really Right Stuff panning head with a QR and decided on getting the Markins M20 Ball with a Kirk 2 1/2" QR which included a bulls eye level to be used with the tripod.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    wayne,
    You could make a "riser" to fit on the leveling ball. 3 or 4" dia. hardwood dowel with a 3/8-16 thread on the bottom & 3/8 or 1/4" stud on the top.
    I would compromise about the height & go fo 3-4" & live with bending over a bit.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well I looked over the Wolf tripods and they seem very nice, but the model I like, the standard leveler ball no column, http://www.wooden-tripods.com/compact.htm is a little long for transport being from what I remember about 34". I figured a B3 head in my pocket would give me a few more inches. The closest model Berlebach in height is shorter, heavier and more expensive.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    When I bought my Berlebach tripod with the leveling column, I thought I would get a Really Right Stuff quick release plate to put on the column so that I could save alot of weight. However, the Really Right Stuff stuff is very expensive so in the end I bought an Acratech ball head that works very well with my Toyo 4x5 field camera. I like the combo.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was watching the Brett Weston DVD and noticed that he had an old beat up metal tripod and the center column was extended about half way up. He was using a Rollei 66 on it and the tripod had a ball head also. You wouldn't think that the setup would yield very good results, he reportedly used Agfa Pan 25 around that time, but his prints are sharp as a tack. He simplified and his technique was superb.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin