Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,536   Online: 1120

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Berlebach with leveling center column.

I'm looking at the Berlebach's with the leveling center column. Can anyone comment on the stability when the column is raised. I tend to shoot at eye level and would have to raise the 8043 column about 9 inches if I choose that model.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Wayne,

I have neither used nor seen the Berlebach tripods. I would however, caution the use of or limiting the amount of extension using the center column of any tripod unless necessary. The greater the extension the more the monopod on top of a tripod type of affect.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have that tripod. With the center column extended it would have the same properties as any other. Also, if the center column is shifted off center to level the head it might be less stable. I purchased the short column which does not extend and it is very stable. I recommend that you buy legs that are long enough that you don't need to extend the center column or you will negate the purpose of the tripod.

Also, keep in mind with the Berleback that if you need to shift the column off center that the long center post will bump into the tripod legs and be limited in movement.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What camera will you be putting on the tripod?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Wayne,

I did much the same as Jerold with my new Gitzo 1257LVL tripod. I removed the center column and replaced it with a short column. If I wish to still use the level that attaches to the bottom of the center column, I had a machine shop make an extension that screws into the bottom of the short column and also allows the hook and the level to screw into the bottom of the extension (the extension can be removed when the tripod has to be brought close to the ground). I try not to use center columns as much as possible, but I am vertically challenged at 5' 6".

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a Berlebach 8043. It is a nice tripod. I love the built in pseudo ball head but frankly, the center column is a nuisance. I wish I had the short column. I'm 6 foot but rarely shoot with the legs fully extended, let alone with the column extended. The regular column limits the minimum camera height to about two feet.

All that said, the column is plenty sturdy for any 35mm slr that I can imagine. Might be OK for a smallish medium format rig - like a hassy. No, I don't think I'd feel real comfortable proping an RB67 atop the fully extended center column...It would likely be fine but, I'd be nervous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have also a look to the Wolfs I personal find them better then Berlebachs!
    http://www.wooden-tripods.com/
    Have no conection to the company only a happy buyer of a tripod!
    Take care, Armin
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm. Wayne, you're where I was early last year. Contemplating. But I had a constraint/asset you don't, in the form of a Bogen 3115/Manfrotto 196 ball leveler. This bon-bon sits on the platform, goes between it and the tripod head.

Because I had the 3115 -- visit Bogen's site to find the current equivalent -- I ended up getting a Berlebach with a plain top instead of a Berlebach with built-in leveler. I got an 8023G rather than some other Berlebach without leveler because when I went shopping Finger Lakes Photographic was selling 8023Gs for $125.

The 8023 at full height plus 3115 plus head (Bogen 3047/Manfrotto 029) puts my 2x3 Speed or Nikon at eye height. For reference, I'm 5' 11".

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    I'm looking at the Berlebach's with the leveling center column. Can anyone comment on the stability when the column is raised. I tend to shoot at eye level and would have to raise the 8043 column about 9 inches if I choose that model.
    I have the 2042 "Report" with the ball-column and I would just recommend that you use caution when adjusting the column with a camera on board as the column can slip fast and hard (if you're not careful) and you could easily get a finger or two pinched wickedly and the camera may well end up on the ground. Make sure that you have a good grip on the camera before turning the knob!

The higher the camera is elevated from the crown of the tripod, the less stable the set-up becomes but the 8043 should be able to handle a 9" rise with relative ease.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matt miller
    What camera will you be putting on the tripod?
    Mostly a 501Cm and 35mm Nikon. Maybe an RB67 once in awhile.

Dan the 8023 I see is a standard columned pod. the **03's and **13's are standard no columns. The whole idea for me was to get around putting a ballhead on top, so the leveler was attractive. I'm also conscious of the weight and travel length as I fly to AZ a couple of times a year to see family and go hiking.

I think that I may pass and buy something else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin