Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,326   Online: 935

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Monitor Screen Calibration

Anyone know of website where you can calibrate a computer monitor screen to some recognized standard. I posted this image and have gotten several notices that it looks washed out with soft contrast: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=15058

I've noticed this on my computer at work too, but who knows what that one is calibrated to.

Thanks in advance,
    alex
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a good place to start: http://www.normankoren.com/color_management.html

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know whether this is the case with other programs, like Photoshop, but the Corel Paint Shop Pro X I use has a relatively simple calibration routine built into it. Before I used it, images on my home computer would look markedly different than when the same images were viewed at the office. Now, after using the calibration utility on both computers, the images look quite similar.

The calibration affects images viewed with any program on the computer - not just Paint Shop Pro X. You calibrate the image by adjusting the monitor's controls.

The license for Paint Shop Pro X is good too - as long as the software isn't being used on both machines at the same time, you can install one copy, on both machines.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Second the Norman Koren site. Here is what I use from his site - the price is right and it does what is supposed to do.

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfin...tml#QuickGamma

- Randy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the help everyone. This is driving me nuts. Can someone who knows their monitor is calibrated please take a look at this? I made some minor adjustments which resulted in a darker image than before, but not a drastic change.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mrh1.jpg  
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Alex this is much improved...Better overall and local contrast. It may not seem like a major change on your end but I assure you that it made a lot of difference.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley
    Anyone know of website where you can calibrate a computer monitor screen to some recognized standard. I posted this image and have gotten several notices that it looks washed out with soft contrast: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=15058

I've noticed this on my computer at work too, but who knows what that one is calibrated to.

Thanks in advance,
    alex
    Proper monitor calibration and profiling needs to be done with a colorimeter and software thats supports the calibration device. Unfortunately many CRTs are inadequate or marginal and are very difficult to calibrate even with a colorimeter so as they say YMMV.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    Proper monitor calibration and profiling needs to be done with a colorimeter and software thats supports the calibration device. Unfortunately many CRTs are inadequate or marginal and are very difficult to calibrate even with a colorimeter so as they say YMMV.
    Alex your second post looks fine but then so did your first on my calibrated and profiled monitors ... I looked on both my 23" Cinema Display (my usual monitor) and a smaller Eizo that I happened to have sitting here as I have just profiled it and a mate before shipping them off to be used in a Workshop in two weeks.

All that a preface to an elaboration on calibration. You can get a variety of different 'pucks' to use to calibrate your monitor. One of the simplest and least expensive is the Monaco OPTIX xr. Right now Midwest Photo is running a special on them for $159 which is way cheaper than I have seen them anywhere else. At that price I consider it a 'must have' investment if your monitor plays any role in your workflow or image viewing.

Some folks put a note on their website warning viewers to calibrate their monitors or noting at what color temperature the images are best viewed ...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Ted. That info on the image before and after the changes was what I needed to know.
    My Photography Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin