Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,753   Online: 855
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: June Weddings

  1. #11
    joeyk49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,325
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw
    I have absolutely no arguement with your point(s), Joey... there are some creative photographers that can end up with a fantastic product if given carte blanche. There are others that will end up with garbage products no matter how much direction they are given..........
    Would I hire Nicole to photograph my kids... DEFINITELY... Would I hire Blansky to shoot my kids... I honestly don't know... but I'd be concerned that he might not use a camera to shoot them after he meets the little monsters!...
    .........

    But there is one shot of someone's undies that still has me wondering... it's been a decade and I still can't figure out who that was!
    My response was more tongue in cheek, but you've always gotta wonder...

    Were I to do it again...dunno...but part of me would have wanted to say to a well accomplished photog.."Here's the check, now show me some magic!".....

  2. #12
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,243
    Images
    60
    I like these.

    I think they encourage people to think of photographs as helping make the wedding occasion even more special. I also think that they make it much less likely that the bride's mother doesn't complain because noone thought to take a picture of Aunt Edna, who came all the way from Duluth for the wedding!

    I used to shoot a lot of weddings, although on a part time basis. I used to make a point of shooting a lot of candids during the reception and otherwise. My charge for 4x5 reprints and 5x7 reprints was fairly reasonable, and I would often end up selling a fair number of prints to wedding guests as well as the bride and groom.

    I would encourage people to take their own shots, and it seemed to me that the more people did that, the more I would eventually sell (it might have something to do with a passable level of skill and experience, the use of good equipment, and quality photofinishing).

    What I wouldn't like to see is disposable digital cameras on the tables!

    Matt

  3. #13
    DBP
    DBP is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,883
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing
    What I wouldn't like to see is disposable digital cameras on the tables!
    Is there another kind?

  4. #14
    blansky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Wine country in Northern California
    Posts
    5,029
    Since half of the weddings are disposable it's only fitting that the cameras should be.



    Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

  5. #15
    Cheryl Jacobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,707
    Images
    211
    I'm getting married on June 18th, and guess what will be on the tables. Yup, disposable cameras. Is it because I don't understand the value of professional wedding photography? Of course not. It's because it's fun as hell to see what whacked out s*** the guests shoot when nobody's watching.

    I've shot weddings before, and yes, I absolutely shot them my way. Available light, Tri-X pushed as needed, Delta 3200, no flash even in candlelit reception halls. I would rather put my eye out with a fork than do grip-and-grins of people sitting at tables. The last wedding I did, I got a three-hour break because I (finally) had a wedding coordinator who understand that it is of NO value to take pictures of people chewing their food. People absolutely will hire photogs who know their stuff and have a strong and absolutely established style, with the understanding that the photog will shoot things entirely his/her way. It just requires a good client/photog match and great communications skills.

    Personally, I've hired a B&W film photog who primarily does children's portraiture and has never shot a wedding; I didn't want any standard wedding photography, so it made sense to hire someone whose style I love, skills I trust, and who won't fall back on typical wedding shots.

    Just my two cents' worth.

    -- CJ

  6. #16
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,243
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs
    I'm getting married on June 18th, and guess what will be on the tables. Yup, disposable cameras. Is it because I don't understand the value of professional wedding photography? Of course not. It's because it's fun as hell to see what whacked out s*** the guests shoot when nobody's watching.

    I've shot weddings before, and yes, I absolutely shot them my way. Available light, Tri-X pushed as needed, Delta 3200, no flash even in candlelit reception halls. I would rather put my eye out with a fork than do grip-and-grins of people sitting at tables. The last wedding I did, I got a three-hour break because I (finally) had a wedding coordinator who understand that it is of NO value to take pictures of people chewing their food. People absolutely will hire photogs who know their stuff and have a strong and absolutely established style, with the understanding that the photog will shoot things entirely his/her way. It just requires a good client/photog match and great communications skills.

    Personally, I've hired a B&W film photog who primarily does children's portraiture and has never shot a wedding; I didn't want any standard wedding photography, so it made sense to hire someone whose style I love, skills I trust, and who won't fall back on typical wedding shots.

    Just my two cents' worth.

    -- CJ
    Cheryl:

    1) Congratulation on your coming wedding;
    2) Be sure to have fun! My wife and I and our friends and relatives (mostly) did, and it will always be a dear and treasured memory, and it made for great photographs too;
    3) Your two cents, when it comes to photography,are certainly worth more than two cents! (probably in other areas too);
    4) I think that if you have the "good client/photog match and great communications skills" you refer to, and a photographer who is happy moving from style to style, it doesn't matter so much if the clients want something traditional, or something not so unusual. Weddings are a celebration, and even mundane photography of a celebration can communicate joy, and be a wonderful record of a special moment in life;
    5) With that in mind, I am sure that anyone who has been blessed with having your photographs of their wedding, probably has something extra, that trancends the recording of an event;
    6) IMHO grip and grins often bring rise to smiles and chuckles;
    7) I agree, one cannot take photographs of people while they are eating. One can, however, often catch people smiling, laughing, interacting and being themselves between bites!
    8) All the best!

    Matt

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,016
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Since half of the weddings are disposable it's only fitting that the cameras should be.
    Okay, Michael... you made my day!

    By the way.... my wife and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary next month. I need to plan something nice. How about if we set up a session so you can shoot the kids while the bide and I go out and get wasted on some cheap wine... are you interested?

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,016
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs
    ...

    I've shot weddings before, and yes, I absolutely shot them my way.
    ...
    People absolutely will hire photogs who know their stuff and have a strong and absolutely established style, with the understanding that the photog will shoot things entirely his/her way. It just requires a good client/photog match and great communications skills.
    ...
    Personally, I've hired a B&W film photog who primarily does children's portraiture and has never shot a wedding; I didn't want any standard wedding photography, so it made sense to hire someone whose style I love, skills I trust, and who won't fall back on typical wedding shots.
    Good points, Cheryl. Shooting styles are unique and hard to change. In fact, one shouldn't try to change a photographers style but should find a photographer that shoots in the style that they want their event photographed. It sounds like you know what you want and will find the right person to deliver.

    I always find it interesting to see wedding photographers "side-by-side" at bridal fairs. The diversity of shooting and presentation styles is quite astounding... as it the diversity and expectations of brides.

  9. #19
    joeyk49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,325
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs
    I'm getting married on June 18th, and guess what will be on the tables. Yup, disposable cameras. Is it because I don't understand the value of professional wedding photography? Of course not. It's because it's fun as hell to see what whacked out s*** the guests shoot when nobody's watching.

    I've shot weddings before, and yes, I absolutely shot them my way. Available light, Tri-X pushed as needed, Delta 3200, no flash even in candlelit reception halls. I would rather put my eye out with a fork than do grip-and-grins of people sitting at tables.

    I didn't want any standard wedding photography, so it made sense to hire someone whose style I love, skills I trust, and who won't fall back on typical wedding shots.

    -- CJ
    I wish you were around my neck of North Jersey in 1982....


    and your two cents, at least from where I'm sitting, figures to be worth a whole lot more than that....

    Congrats and best wishes on the upcoming nuptuals! Let us know if YOU wind up wielding any of those disposables....and of course, post some examples...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin