Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,305   Online: 952

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June Weddings

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

June Weddings

eBay special; a must have for the serious Wedding Photographer.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Silver-Bells-Wed...QQcmdZViewItem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    apparently people like to leave these at all the tables in the reception hall to get 'candid' and 'real' photos. after all, 100 bucks worth of disposables and processing is a lot cheaper than a professional- and hey my twice removed cousin has a dslr- he can do the actual portraits... what are we going to do with all that saved money?

i hope the guests steal them! or better yet, i hope their young neices and nephews leave them with endless pictures of blurry bugs and gum stuck under the table!

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They had disposables on the tables at the wedding I was at last weekend, which may explain why the pros (2) didn't really take any pics of the guests.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i wonder if they charged less...

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey, at least it's film...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkDynamo
    I hope the guests steal them! or better yet, i hope their young neices and nephews leave them with endless pictures of blurry bugs and gum stuck under the table!
    Now now. :P

But yeah, it is kind of cheesy in my opinion. I can understand if you are a bit of a pauper getting hitched and you have friends taking pictures but as a mainstream thing, just remember you only have that wedding day once (hopefully)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorta like using the shotgun approach...throw enough lead in the general direction of what you want and you're bound to hit something...

Of course, it makes for a whole lotta wasted ammunition, err film...but hey! it keeps the manufacturer making the stuff...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    They had disposables on the tables at the wedding I was at last weekend, which may explain why the pros (2) didn't really take any pics of the guests.
    I think the reason many wedding pros aren't interested in taking candids of guests is that so few of these images are actually purchased. Many wedding pros I've talked to will shoot, for example, table shots (the guests at each table) ONLY on the contractual committment that they all will be purchased. Applying thesame philosphy for other candids also makes good business sense... unless that's what the customer really wants and will be buying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are there any clients who instruct their wedding photogs to take a few obligatory church and reception shots, very few, and then "just shoot..."...."let your creativity run..."?

In other words...have they ever hired the photog based on his/her ability, creativity and product and just said..."do your thing" without any interference, whatsoever?

Imagine Nicole, with her feel for availbale light and children, doing weddings in black and white in TriX outside and Delta or Kodak 3200 inside....

Imagine Blansky........well, ok...I guess I got a little carried away...but you get the idea...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have absolutely no arguement with your point(s), Joey... there are some creative photographers that can end up with a fantastic product if given carte blanche. There are others that will end up with garbage products no matter how much direction they are given.

Would I hire Nicole or Blansky to photograph my wedding... I honestly don't know. Both are accomplished photogs but without seeing some of their wedding work... I honestly don't know. Wedding photography is quite unique since it is a one-time opportunity and most wedding parties (brides especially) have very high expectations of what their photog is to produce. Would I hire Nicole to photograph my kids... DEFINITELY... I've seen her work and would trust her implicitly Would I hire Blansky to shoot my kids... I honestly don't know... but I'd be concerned that he might not use a camera to shoot them after he meets the little monsters!

The point I was working on is that i don't know of too many wedding photogs that can keep bacon on the table if their only income is from the "day rate" for shooting. They make much of their money on the final product -- the prints sold in a wedding album. So for a pro to expend a lot of time/effort in shooting pics that won't sell... well, that's just bad business.

I also haven't heard of too many wedding parties (brides, especially) that doesn't have an pre-conceived notion of what they want to see in their wedding album. I've also heard of many wedding parties (brides especially) that change their minds... usually in favor of the traditional, formal poses rather than those with their friends mugging for the camera.

Basically you are right... there are all kinds of wedding parties (brides especially) and all kinds of wedding photographers. The most successful wedding photographers seem to be those with personality and the ability to reliably shoot the traditionals and just enough of the candids to make everyone (brides especially) happy. "Just enough" in the previous sentence is intended to mean "those that can be sold to the wedding party (brides especially).

p.s. I agree that the disposables on the table is a cheesy gimmick, but it is de rigeour these days and a great way for the wedding photog to be relieved of the burdon of shooting lots of candids that won't generate income.

p.p.s. At my wedding, 10 years ago, we put disposable coameras on the table. All were recovered. All were processed. We even got a few decent shots from them. Perhaps it is because most of the guests were mature and responsible. But there is one shot of someone's undies that still has me wondering... it's been a decade and I still can't figure out who that was!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin