Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,786   Online: 715

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Alternative to Seal Tacking Iron?

Has anybody tried using a sealing iron used in hobby RC planes to tack sealing sheets?

I found this iron on a hobby site:
    Sealing Irons for RC Planes

Looks to be a bit less expensive than the Seal brand irons.
    John (Alpha Flying Monkey) Moore
    http://www.flyingmonkeystudio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From what I understand these are the exact same piece of equipment, just labeled differently. Grab one!
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by JLMoore3
    Has anybody tried using a sealing iron used in hobby RC planes to tack sealing sheets?

I found this iron on a hobby site:
    Sealing Irons for RC Planes

Looks to be a bit less expensive than the Seal brand irons.
    This one looks like it has a thinner tacking head than the Seal which IMO, would be a plus, it will probably work fine.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can get them even cheaper.... At the bottom of this thread, under the "Similar Threads" section you should see a link to an earlier thread on the subject: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum46/17051-dirt-cheap-tacking-iron.html

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    and to think I use a teaspoon heated with the kitchen cooktop (gas)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I recently replaced the electric steam iron I'd been using (without steam!) for 20 years with another one because the cord on the old one was frayed. They cost maybe $1 or $2 in junk stores. I do have a Sealector heat sealing iron, but prefer the steam iron.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just bought but have yet to use tacking iron. Its appearance is very much like the 21st century iron but the name on the iron is different. It seems nicely made. The price was $19.95 and the postage to wisconsin was $4.05. So after having a memorial service for my 32 year old seal iron and a privately attended commital service I now have a new iron. The customer service involved was very good.

Talbot1.com then clicking on collage supplies will get you there.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft View Post
    I just bought but have yet to use tacking iron. Its appearance is very much like the 21st century iron but the name on the iron is different. It seems nicely made. The price was $19.95 and the postage to wisconsin was $4.05. So after having a memorial service for my 32 year old seal iron and a privately attended commital service I now have a new iron. The customer service involved was very good.

Talbot1.com then clicking on collage supplies will get you there.
    Sorry to revive this old post but since my old Seal tacking iron (about the same age as yours) just died I thought I'd update everyone on my purchase at Talbot Arts. The price hasn't changed in all these years. I ordered one and hopefully the quality hasn't either.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Many many thanks!!!!!!!!!

I need one or two for the university and have delayed getting one -- now I know what and where -- and how much!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using the hobby store Iron and it works good,BUUUT be careful of the pointed end,it can crease the print!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin