Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,094   Online: 1017

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Five firsts in half as many weeks

To quote gnashings: "As to developing your own film, I find it a necessity with B&W (and by the looks of the colour prints I get..yuck... its seems to be getting there with colour - but that s a slightly more involved game to play). I don't know of a lab that could possibly develop film up to my very modest standards at a price that I would find affordible. It takes less time and room to develop a roll of film than to take a dump - and if you ate hot food, it costs less than the TP"

Well, I must say that I'm glad to have found this site- it has inspired me and poured av gas on my photography fire. I am proud to say that in the last 3 weeks, I have:
    1) become a subscriber to APUG
    2) developed my first roll (2 rolls now, actually) of B&W film- thanks for the nudge gnashings
    3) set up my own darkroom, based around an Omega dichroic C760 on an XL base (still waiting for a lamp- haven't tried it out yet)
    4) succesfully printed my 1st contact sheets, and
    5) entered the world of MF with a new to me Yashica Mat 124 (wow- what crisp slides that baby gives!).

I'll be happy to add a 6th first hopefully in the next week or two- Infrared Photography, using a new to me Pentax MX. I've a feeling that one will take a while to announce though

And all this for less than $1000 CDN- what a great investment!

Thank you everybody for your wonderful and patient advice so far, feedback on my photos, and to all you other newbies that saved me the typing by asking the same questions I had (Uncle Bill ). When I first became a member here, I was only interested in the 35mm Cameras and Accessories forum, and that's all I read. Now I'm reading from most of them with gusto and have even bookmarked a thread on recommendations for an 8X10 LF rig (waaaayyyyy in the future- wow those are $$$$$!!). My eyes have definitely been opened to the lifetime of possibilities out there in film photography. I won't be quick to brush anything off now!
    If only we could pull out our brains and use only our eyes. P. Picasso

http://www.timbowlesphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Thats so cool!!!! Right on!!!

BTW My 8x10 rig- camera-holders-lens- tripod set me back less than US$1200. It's a slippery slope!!! 8x10 contact prints are sublime.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo10ca
    ...even bookmarked a thread on recommendations for an 8X10 LF rig (waaaayyyyy in the future- wow those are $$$$$!!).
    You will probably find yourself in the market sooner than you think. Cost is keeping me out, actually my inability to really figure out 4X5 is keeping me out about as much as well. If you are willing to play around with an old Korona or something it will be cheaper than you think.

This place does have a way of doing that to you, doesn't it? I am glad you are doing your own film, I am also a huge believer in that. You will enjoy your enlarger once you get it up and running.

Paul.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Lucky bastard. Keep it up. NICE!!!!!
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin