Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,483,009   Online: 762

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I am recovering! I have about 20 different cameras around here (most garage sale rescue efforts ranging from garbage to conversation piece to a Nikon FG that I use as a walk around all the time), and I have managed this resolve:
    No more actual cameras from eBay. And I am sticking to it! I am!

Of course, its because I am hunting for lenses

Peter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    I think I am recovering! I have about 20 different cameras around here (most garage sale rescue efforts ranging from garbage to conversation piece to a Nikon FG that I use as a walk around all the time), and I have managed this resolve:
    No more actual cameras from eBay. And I am sticking to it! I am!

Of course, its because I am hunting for lenses

Peter.
    Caon you find me some pentax screwmounts?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is always a bunch on eBay. Some of them are really, really neat - and cheap, too! I am always tempted to get some for my Zenit. Just go to eBay and look - its easy... too easy....

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino
    Dan,

I bit of both, I guess. I love the bargains, but damn, it sends me down a path of GAS I was trying to tame.

How much of your drive to photography is GAS and how much is the craft/art? Does cheap equipment cheapen the experience for you?

If your gear was essentially worthless in value to the rest of the World, would you care?

Sorry, just gathering wool; if it upsets you, don't respond.

Frank
    Um, Frank, my downfall has been lenses, not camera bodies. I acquire lenses for a variety of reasons:

-- It is poorly documented and I want to know what it is/can do. For example, my f/7.7 Boyer "S << 1/1 >>" that turned out to be a 210 Beryl S, a 6/2 Dagor-type. Totally unheard-of, even after I learned its name. OK lens, though.

-- It will fill a gap. My 420 Apo Nikkor, fits nicely between the 360 and 480 I already had.

-- It may be usefully better than a lens I already have. 10.16"/9 Taylor Hobson Copying Lens, turned out to be much much better than the 250/5.6 Tele-Optar I no longer have.

-- Fodder for discussion. To test the generally held belief that uncoated old lenses are trash, I've been acquiring uncoated f/6.3 Tessars, some pre-1914. Short answer, within the f/6.3 Tessar's coverage there's no need for coating or a more modern design.

-- To be outrageous. That was my 6"/1.9 Dallmeyer Super Six. This is a fast normal lens for 4x5, not a telephoto lens for 35 mm. Try to imagine that monstrosity on a 2x3 Speed Graphic.

-- As a speculation. Bought below market with resale in mind. 80/6.3 WF Ektar. I've had one for years, its a fine lens; bought the second for very little, sold it.

-- Because its cute, no other reason needed.

My "drive to photography" is about capturing images that I want to retain and share with others. My "drive to acquire gear" doesn't have a lot to do with that, except that I do buy some lenses for use. Think fill gaps, get a better one. I think I'm about to stop acquiring lenses except for the "old lenses, bad lenses" polemic and to satisfy curiosity.

Unlike the characters who accumulate fixed lens leaf-shutter 35 mm rangefinder cameras, I don't acquire more and more of essentially the same damned thing. I get more and more different damned things.

My lenses are, for the most part, worthless to the rest of the world. That is, their prices were low. Otherwise I couldn't have afforded them. So what? They shoot well, do what I want them to do, help me take the pictures I want to take.

I'm grateful to the many people who failed to see that the lenses I bought at low prices are great treasures. A good lens is a good lens. A good lens at a low price is better still. Snagging mine has given me a little of that narsty "I see reality better than you do" sensation. Very pleasant sensation, faintly shameful.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aside from my RB67 (which was under 300$) , I've never spent more than 50$ for an old camera, the only one being from ebay was my wife's Mamiya C3 TLR.

I currently have.

Mamiya C3 TLR w/ 105mm (owned by my wife, I had to get my own body)
    Mamiya C33 TLR w/ 65mm
    Zeiss Ikon Contina LK (1964-66)
    Argus C3 (~1948 - 1955, the number of C3 vary in little things)
    Kodak Pony 135 (1957)

Kodak Instamatic 104 Outfit

Spartus "35F" Model 400

Kodak No.1 Junior Autographic (1914)

Canon FTb w/ 50mm 1.8 S.C. (And 50mm f/1.4 S.S.C. around here, and Tamron Adaptall 70-210)

Nishika N8000 3-D Camera

Minolta X-370 w/ 50mm f/1.7

Nettar 515 6x4.5 Folding Camera (1937)

Seagull TLR

Mamiya RB67 w/ 90mm f/3.8C, 180mm f/4.5

And others such as (some my wife owns)
    Zenit-11 35mm SLR
    Mamiya DTL-1000 35mm SLR
    Kodak Duaflex
    Kodak Box Brownie D and E

I swear I'm still missing something.

Anyways all of those above with the exception of the RB67 (and the Mamiya C3 + 65mm + 105mm + light meter) , I paid no more than 10$ for any of them, and they all work perfectly fine, and has been tested if I dont shoot it often.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh the real pickle is when you work in a camera shop with all the old vintage cameras, live in a city that has over a thousand garage sales in a weekend, familiar with keh, and have a wife that will kill your boss if he doesnt sell her the Mamiya C330f with the 80mm that just came in.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244
    Oh the real pickle is when you work in a camera shop with all the old vintage cameras, live in a city that has over a thousand garage sales in a weekend, familiar with keh, and have a wife that will kill your boss if he doesnt sell her the Mamiya C330f with the 80mm that just came in.
    LOL.

Heh, that's a nice collection!

I can't imagine dragging my junk heap out to photograph it; not that there aren't some beauties in there, but the most are like Dan says, fun or interesting or so rare no one knows they are rare...

Good to hear there are others who operate the same way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Um, Frank, my downfall has been lenses, not camera bodies. I acquire lenses for a variety of reasons:

(snip)

I'm grateful to the many people who failed to see that the lenses I bought at low prices are great treasures. A good lens is a good lens. A good lens at a low price is better still. Snagging mine has given me a little of that narsty "I see reality better than you do" sensation. Very pleasant sensation, faintly shameful.

Cheers,

Dan
    Great post, Dan!

Well spoken; you've managed to eloquently explain a few sentiments I have never put into words.

And I have found that, some GAS is (wait for it) more noble than others.

Frank

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino
    Dan,

I bit of both, I guess. I love the bargains, but damn, it sends me down a path of GAS I was trying to tame....

We are either in a short-duration, Golden Age where we can acquire all the photo gear we ever lusted after, or are wallowing in filthy excess that goes on forever (bet the former not the latter); I can't seem to make up my mind to be happy or wary.

How much of your drive to photography is GAS and how much is the craft/art? Does cheap equipment cheapen the experience for you?

If your gear was essentially worthless in value to the rest of the World, would you care?

Frank
    Frank, I think that your assessment is correct. An incredible amount of stuff is simply being thrown out. Only a percentage appears on the bay, and for a lot of accessory things, true rarity in the future will drive the price up. Age plays a factor also. Inevitably, much of this stuff will wear out, and become very difficult if not impossible to repair. The next several years will be the heyday; I now find it possible to get quality stuff that 30 years ago I drooled over but could not afford for a song and dance. And even some of the time the ability to sell it to someone else at a profit!!!
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Say, Kino, I can help, a little -- PM me if you want to get rid of that Yashica TLR for what you paid, plus shipping...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin