Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,864   Online: 983

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ebay Poor-attacked on all sides by GAS-Dick the matchboy struggles..

Sounds like a Victorian novel, but its true.

I am an Ebay addict.

I can't stop buying ultra cheap cameras; God help me.

It's not just Ebay though; GAS rears its ugly head in the strangest places.

"Say, a friend said you still shoot film", looking me over like a Hare Krishna in a Baptist Convention, "Wanna buy a camera?" the man says as he shoves a near mint Yashica TLR toward me. "My son bought it in a garage sale and lost interest in it. He just wants the $5 back he has in it; interested?"

*BOOM* the sound of the sound barrier being broke as I grab for my wallet.

I WAS thinning out my collection, but now I look up and it has GROWN.

*SIGH*

How can you turn down a Konica FT-1 motor drive 35mm SLR with 28mm f2.8 Super Lentar for, yes this is true, 99 cents!

I am thinking of being buried with my cameras and eliminating some GAS when I die (in more ways that one). My wife will, no doubt, concur, but she is just as guilty, bringing home lonely TLRs and rangefinders for me to shelter.

What an age to live in !

Frank

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have 4 slrs, 1 canon fd, 1 eos digital, konica autoreflex t, pentax sp500
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Damn, I wish I was lucky enough to get deals like that.

LoL, if you wanted to do something with those cameras, you could always start a travelling camera group. After all, you only paid 99 cents for the camera, why not share it around lol.

Not that I wouldn't blame you for saying "no way" lol, never known anyone to let those good deals go. often those particular items are more of a trophey than the ones you pay full price for. all those bragging rights lol

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm like that with darkroom equipment. I've got this room in the house that is supposed to be a study. The walls are lined with bookshelves and there was once a place to sit and read. I currently have 4 enlargers in there, easels out the kazoo, 24 cameras of various types, boxes of paper, piles of prints, mats, bags, etc, and who the hell knows what else. I know people who know that I like camera gear and they hunt me down when they find darkroom gear being disposed of and hell, I just can't let it hit the land fill...

I've sold some of it here, but there is so much that I *might* need at some point that I hate to part with it. The result is that my study has a narrow, winding path through whats looks like photo version of Sanford and Son's yard. It's OK though, I can stop whenever I want, and I might NEED that stuff when I get time to do more...

- Randy

P.S. Almost forgot! There is a giant light table in there that I got for a song. Too bad I can't work my way over to it right now...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Frank, are you bemoaning your fate or boasting?

Perhaps its time for a potlatch. You and a couple of other guys with too many cameras can compete. Who destroys more value wins.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Frank, are you bemoaning your fate or boasting?

Perhaps its time for a potlatch. You and a couple of other guys with too many cameras can compete. Who destroys more value wins.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan
    Dan,

I bit of both, I guess. I love the bargains, but damn, it sends me down a path of GAS I was trying to tame.

Yes, it is a shallow, insipid complaint; I am amazed to be voicing it as much as you are probably irritated to read it.

In another aspect, I marvel at what can be had for such paltry sums. As a kid of 13, I worked all Summer for a 35mm SLR; now, I buy them with pocket change that wouldn't buy a cup of coffee.

We are either in a short-duration, Golden Age where we can acquire all the photo gear we ever lusted after, or are wallowing in filthy excess that goes on forever (bet the former not the latter); I can't seem to make up my mind to be happy or wary.

Guess I am definitely the "glass half-empty" crowd.

OK, I'm over it.

But seriously, doesn't anyone else feel the same?

How much of your drive to photography is GAS and how much is the craft/art? Does cheap equipment cheapen the experience for you?

If your gear was essentially worthless in value to the rest of the World, would you care?

Sorry, just gathering wool; if it upsets you, don't respond.

Frank

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Frank,

First you have to recognize that you do not have a problem. You have been chosen, as have many of us, to assume the tireless responsibilities of "Camera Preservationist".

We CP's provide shelter and care for a vast number of otherwise unwanted, neglected cameras. We perform a valuable service including keeping all of those cameras from a lonely forgotten existence in the back of the top shelf of someone's hall closet. Even more so, we are true environmentalists, keeping this gear from being consigned to landfills.

So take pride in your chosen role as a CP. And, since your wife is similarly blessed - you might want to consider adding on a couple of rooms to help you maitain your responsibilities as a pair of CPs!

Regards,
    George

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    Frank,

First you have to recognize that you do not have a problem. You have been chosen, as have many of us, to assume the tireless responsibilities of "Camera Preservationist".

We CP's provide shelter and care for a vast number of otherwise unwanted, neglected cameras. We perform a valuable service including keeping all of those cameras from a lonely forgotten existence in the back of the top shelf of someone's hall closet. Even more so, we are true environmentalists, keeping this gear from being consigned to landfills.

So take pride in your chosen role as a CP. And, since your wife is similarly blessed - you might want to consider adding on a couple of rooms to help you maitain your responsibilities as a pair of CPs!

Regards,
    George

By George, I think you've got it!

Dilemma solved!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was at an antique mall the other day and was speaking to a gentleman that collects cameras. He told me had over 500 different cameras. I got to asking him about specific makes/models and if he were interested in selling certain ones. I wanted to get his info. but did not have a pen or paper. He said he had a card in his car and supposedly went to get it but he never came back in. I must of scared him with my fervor. I think he is the kind who acquires them to put them on a shelf not to actually run film through them. He told me he had 2 Deardorfs he would never think of selling. I must have creeped him out :-). My sister-in-law said I had a crazed look in my eye and was drooling when he told me about his collection.

Sunny
    "Never assume that children will remain where you last saw them." --From the Lawn*Boy Operator's Manual

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino
    "Wanna buy a camera?" the man says as he shoves a near mint Yashica TLR toward me. "My son bought it in a garage sale and lost interest in it. He just wants the $5 back he has in it; interested?"

How can you turn down a Konica FT-1 motor drive 35mm SLR with 28mm f2.8 Super Lentar for, yes this is true, 99 cents!

What an age to live in !

Frank
    I think this is like the old joke about the guy who went to the psychiatrist because his memory was bad and he kept losing umbrellas. The psychiatrist said he could treat him, but it would be cheaper if he just kept on losing umbrellas!

In the present age, GAS in the form you have it is cheaper than drinking beer! The only downside is of course that it slowly fills your house with cameras, but with a crash diet (sell-off) every now and again you should be fine. You can have as much fun with cheap cameras as those deadly serious Leica collectors who pay $1,000s for obscure accessories!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin