Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,876   Online: 1126

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CGross

Toronto / Mississauga Ontario - Looking for used camera stores

I spend a fair amount of time in Mississauga / Toronto on business and will be going there next week. I would like to take some time to explore one or more used camera shops but have no clue where any of the good ones are.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Henry's Outlet Centre on Queen St. E. (just west of Church Street - about half a block west of their "superstore") is pretty good for used stuff. There is a huge selection, particularly of 35mm stuff (I wasn't shooting 4x5 when I was there last so I really didn't look for any) and the prices can be pretty good (they seem to vary). Certainly worth a look.

I'm all ears to hear of what else there might be...
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could check what Harry's has. Harry's is more pro oriented. If you want to stop in you need to phone and make an appointment.

http://harrysproshop.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Not in downtown, but it might be on your way to town

Birlington Camera is an honest independent camera store, run by the same family for nearly 50 years. They always have a good selection of good used cameras. They don't buy cheap used lenses, etc.

The basement is well stocked with new and used darkroom and lighting equipment. The display cases on the main floor have a displayed collection (yes, the cameras are for sale) of almost every circa 1930-1980 roll film and 35mm cameras that you ever are likely to run across from most manufacturers .

The staff are all competent, and there are always one or two on the floor that are very knowlegeable and patient.

I am not associated with the store, but am a loyal customer. It is about the same time and distance for me to go there vs downtown Toronto, and most of the time I opt for Burlington.

They are located 2km south of the QEW on Guleph Line, on the west side, just north of New Street. Take exit 103 off the QEW, which is after you come over the Burlington Bay Skyway, and pass the Highway 407 exit. This presumes that you are driving in via Niagara Falls. If you come by way of the 401, then you will need a road atlas to get yourself better organized.

I second the Henrys central store recommendation for downtown. It is huge, but there are areas for everything, including used film cameras. they have an Ebay auction, and Henrys.com web site that will gibve you a flavour of what they have on offer. Further west on Queen Street is Vistek, but they have more a pro/rental focus than older cameras, but do have some better representation of meduim format cameras that they sell used.

If you are sure about what you want, and know the product, there are a host of pawnbrokers round the Henrys main location that move more mainstream used cameras, but you must know what to look for with a broker sold camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Not in downtown, but it might be on your way to town

Birlington Camera is an honest independent camera store, run by the same family for nearly 50 years. They always have a good selection of good used cameras. They don't buy cheap used lenses, etc.

The basement is well stocked with new and used darkroom and lighting equipment. The display cases on the main floor have a displayed collection (yes, the cameras are for sale) of almost every circa 1930-1980 roll film and 35mm cameras that you ever are likely to run across from most manufacturers .

The staff are all competent, and there are always one or two on the floor that are very knowlegeable and patient.

I am not associated with the store, but am a loyal customer. It is about the same time and distance for me to go there vs downtown Toronto, and most of the time I opt for Burlington.

They are located 2km south of the QEW on Guleph Line, on the west side, just north of New Street. Take exit 103 off the QEW, which is after you come over the Burlington Bay Skyway, and pass the Highway 407 exit. This presumes that you are driving in via Niagara Falls. If you come by way of the 401, then you will need a road atlas to get yourself better organized.

I second the Henrys central store recommendation for downtown. It is huge, but there are areas for everything, including used film cameras. they have an Ebay auction, and Henrys.com web site that will gibve you a flavour of what they have on offer. Further west on Queen Street is Vistek, but they have more a pro/rental focus than older cameras, but do have some better representation of meduim format cameras that they sell used.

If you are sure about what you want, and know the product, there are a host of pawnbrokers round the Henrys main location that move more mainstream used cameras, but you must know what to look for with a broker sold camera.

Mississauga has Just Cameras, off the south side of Dundas (a plaza that fronts onto Blundell), just west of Dixie. Mostly a new retailer, but some used stock. Henrys Mississuaga store is at Hurontario and Eglinton on the north east corner. Mostly a new camera retailer, but some used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kominek Camera Repair on College Street (west of Yonge) is a good source for used cameras as well. Russ is very knowledgeable and friendly.
    http://www.kominek.com/

Brian
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i am a little late here
    but KHB Photografix is great!

http://www.khbphotografix.com

when i was missing parts to my omega E4 negative carrier
    they were going to machine me a NEW carrier for less than
    what it would have cost me to buy one new/used.

the folks there are very friendly, knowledgable and very good!

have fun!

john

CGross
    I had just enough time to check out Henry's Outlet. They had alot on the shelves!!!
    I'll be back up in a few weeks and am scheduling enough personal time this next trip to check out the other suggestions.

Here in Cincinnati, we have a very limited amount of photo shops, so it's nice to be able to travel to a place that has a few good ones.

Thanks for all the suggestions.....

Cody

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would add Halton Camera Exchange. They have a good selection of used 35mm cameras and lenses and a little bit of medium format.

http://www.haltoncamera.com/

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snowymtphotos
    I had just enough time to check out Henry's Outlet. They had alot on the shelves!!!
    I'll be back up in a few weeks and am scheduling enough personal time this next trip to check out the other suggestions.

Here in Cincinnati, we have a very limited amount of photo shops, so it's nice to be able to travel to a place that has a few good ones.

Thanks for all the suggestions.....

Cody
    Snowy, what about the ones that used to be around the Columbus area, are they gone now?

Brian
    Brian McDowell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin