Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,937   Online: 993

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PMA 2007

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

PMA 2007

Dave Wooten and I went in search of signs of film at PMA in Las Vegas today and we saw a few interesting things.

Ilford--We spoke with Howard Hopwood from Ilford/Harman, and it sounds like Delta 25 in its current conception is too hard to control. The emulsion comes out too contrasty, requiring unreasonably short development times to work, but maybe they might try another tack, seeing if they can start from Delta 100 and slow it down and make the grain smaller. He said that if this works, they would more likely be able to offer it in more sizes.

SFX is out and will be sold in trial packs with a Cokin filter to optimize the IR effect, as well as in regular 35mm and 120 packaging.

They are working on a baryta inkjet paper that should be out in a few months, which may be interesting for alt-process use, if the subbing for inkjet doesn't interfere with alt-process coating.

We mentioned that we very much appreciated the special cuttings of ULF film, and Dave said that when he visited Mobberly, the employees were very enthusiastic about the ULF orders.

FS Distributing (a subsidiary of Freestyle) was there showing Kentmere, Foma, Efke, Rollei, and Slavich films, papers and chemistry, and they mentioned that they may import SPUR developer from fotoimpex in the future. They showed some great prints on Efke Emaks and the Slavich paper. A lot of the market for B&W materials they said is educational, so they're opening a fair number of accounts with university bookstores, and said the more that educators try and advocate for their materials, the stronger they will be. They're also offering some Kentmere chemistry manufactured in the US, mainly aimed at the educational market (a K-76 film developer, rapid fixer, etc.).

Oriental was there with a binder of fine prints on Oriental papers and mentioned that their next area of research will be environmentally friendly B&W chemistry, again aimed at the educational market primarily, but also for users with septic systems and general concern about the natural environment. Their rep said he's been getting back into the darkroom in recent years and was very interested in APUG.

Fujifilm had an unmanned table with some new Velvia 50 slides and brochures about Provia 400X. It was hard to say how new Velvia compares to old Velvia, but it does have a highly saturated look.

Kodak's film desk was manned by Scott DiSabato, and he said B&W is doing very well, and spoke of the special ULF offerings. He was on top of the recent J&C, View Camera Store, etc. cuttings, and said that as long as the dealer can assemble a $10,000 order for any film product, they're ready to supply it. I advocated for a ULF cutting of Tri-X.

I mentioned the enthusiasm for the new Portras here on APUG.

He's very much on our side--scott.disabato@kodak.com

Hahnemuehle has been making fine papers for over 300 years, long before they started doing inkjet paper, and their representative said that they offer all of their inkjet papers in versions that have not been subbed for inkjet, that could potentially work for alt-processes. The two most promising papers we saw were called "William Turner" and "Albrecht Durer." The distributor for these papers in the northeast is Atlantic Papers (Pavel Repinsky, atlpapers@aol.com), and they could tell you what retailers carry them.

HP Marketing was in the German pavilion, so we got to put a face with the ubiquitous name of Bob Salomon, but Linhof wasn't on display.

Berlebach was showing some really large tripods that I hadn't seen before.

Gitzo's new 6X Carbon Fiber line with non-rotating legs and new twist lock design looks fantastic. Their 5000 series (largest) model (corresponding to the 15xx tripods) weighs in at about 6 lbs and supports 55 lbs.

Zeiss was showing the Zeiss Ikon cameras and some interesting looking optics in Nikon F mount, some of which will also be available in M42. We particularly liked the Hasselblad lenses adapted with tilt-shift mounts made by Hartblei, for Nikon F or M42. They mentioned that they will contact Sean and were interested in becoming APUG sponsors.

Leica was mostly about the M8, Digilux, and such, but one neat thing I saw there was a wideangle finder with parallax correction. You dial in the focal length from 16-28mm and it changes the frameline. Dial in the subject distance and it moves the frameline up or down to correct for parallax.

3dworld was showing their three-lens MF stereo camera and viewers, which was totally cool, if a bit plasticky feeling. Check them out at www.3dworld.cn. Dave and I were transported back to memories of the Viewmaster, but with 6x6cm stereo pairs. There's a lightweight viewer. If it's not too expensive, it would be cool to have one of these and a half dozen viewers.

Schneider did not have any XXL lenses on display, but they said that they did have a number of inquiries. They were also very interested in APUG.

Rodenstock was also in the German pavilion and showed some interesting things like Apo-Grandagons in very elegant and compact looking focus mounts, and one of their lenses in the very fancy Rollei Electronic Shutter.

Dave and I were in search of a nice ULF case for my 11x14" camera and his 14x17" camera, and the most promising thing we saw was a case for transporting a Mac desktop computer in the Tenba booth. They've also improved the Port-Ship case that we use for the Traveling Portfolio, and their representative was very interested to hear about the Traveling Portfolio project and how well their case stood up to repeated international shipments.

In the hybrid area, we saw the very DeVere Digital Enlarger that is no longer in use in that lab in Santa Fe that was offering that service, but she mentioned that other labs are buying them since they upgraded the LCD, and there is one lab (Precision?) in New York that has two of them. We saw prints, and they looked very respectable.

One surprise I saw was a company called Fotodiox (www.fotodiox.com), which makes all kinds of adapters for 35mm and medium format cameras, including some really nice sliding backs in EOS and Nikon mount (it looked like they could make it up in any 35mm mount they carry) that can attach to a Graflok back on a 4x5" camera. Of course these are aimed at digital users, but no reason we couldn't attach a film camera to them.

I don't think I saw a single LF camera at the show.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 03-11-2007 at 11:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Also--the Sanders McNew lightbank seems to be everywhere--lots of lighting based on 5000K compact fluorescents. I had my Gossen Digisix with me, and most of these things were not putting out a huge amount of light--mainly a digital product.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 03-11-2007 at 11:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    They are working on a baryta inkjet paper that should be out in a few months, which may be interesting for alt-process use, if the subbing for inkjet doesn't interfere with alt-process coating.
    They showed this at Photokina half a year ago, I thought it was available already?
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Petzi View Post
    They showed this at Photokina half a year ago, I thought it was available already?
    It might be that there is a paper that Ilford/Harman is showing, which is different from the line of Ilford inkjet papers, which are made by a different company. They described this paper as the same paper used for Ilford MGFB, but with subbing for inkjet.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    It might be that there is a paper that Ilford/Harman is showing, which is different from the line of Ilford inkjet papers. They described this paper as the same paper used for Ilford MGFB, but with subbing for inkjet.
    I saw it at the Harman booth, and it was labeled Harman. Harman can not use the Ilford brand for Inkjet products, because after the bankruptcy, the marketing of Ilford inkjet products was transferred over to Ilford Switzerland exclusively.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

CGross
    David, this is a really nice write up. Thanks for taking the time to share your visit with us.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    3dworld was showing their three-lens MF stereo camera and viewers, which was totally cool, if a bit plasticky feeling. Check them out at www.3dworld.cn. Dave and I were transported back to memories of the Viewmaster, but with 6x6cm stereo pairs. There's a lightweight viewer. If it's not too expensive, it would be cool to have one of these and a half dozen viewers.
    Did you ask them whether they have a U.S. distributor yet, or what the price of the camera in U.S. dollars would be if ordered from China?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    Did you ask them whether they have a U.S. distributor yet, or what the price of the camera in U.S. dollars would be if ordered from China?
    The guy I saw in the booth didn't seem to speak English. He handed me a brochure and pointed and nodded, speaking Chinese to other people visiting the booth. If you write to them via the website and get an answer, let us know!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, David, for the detailed write up. Hope you are enjoying your trip, besides PMA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The guy I saw in the booth didn't seem to speak English. He handed me a brochure and pointed and nodded, speaking Chinese to other people visiting the booth. If you write to them via the website and get an answer, let us know!
    I sent them an email. Incidentally, according to the website, that camera has a mental shutter. I think that's a first!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin