Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,319   Online: 891

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use this set which Carl Zeiss advertises on their website. Works fine. Chemicals should only be used as the last resort when it comes to lens cleaning IMO.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a small paintbrush, isopropyl aclcohol, and destilled water only in the 2nd run. The surface of coatings tends to be hydrophobic, so I can navigate a small drop of water over the elements. I get perfectly (!) clean glass by that. When the glass becomes fogged, you can't even see cleaning stripes et cetera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Clear Sight with Kimwipes, and have used ROR in the past, but can't find it currently. There are many good choices and I think technique is more important than the actual cleaning solution. Years ago I met the man who makes (made?) ROR and he said the best tissue to use was Kleenex, which seemed a bit strange to me. On the other hand he was most excited about selling Eucolyptus extract to cure the world's ailments.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=jmcd;926]I try to clean my lens only when necessary. While blowing my lens with a bulb and brusing away debris with a camel's-hair brush most often gets the lens reasonably clean, sometimes lens cleaing fluid is in order.
    Yes. If after the above, I breathe on the lens then clean it gently with a new Q-tip. If that does not work, then a drop of vodka on a slightly damp Q-tip does the job. And, as always, be gentle.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you always keep your lenses covered and keep them from elemental exposure you'll seldom need to use any kind of fluid. I try to never touch touch a lens' surface with anything at all preferring to try and blow away any specs of dust with canned gas. However, there are times when there is just no other way to clean a lens than to use fluid. I use KimWipes and a quality fluid use practically no pressure at all... only until the tissue gives a bit. I take my time and have never damaged the coatings to any of my lenses. Well, okay, there was that first time when I was 13 before I knew what damage carelessness I can do... but I learned my lesson and haven't done that again.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have 12 video cameras that go out with students. As you might expect I clean the lenses often! Mostly a microfiber cloth does the job, maybe a little moisture from breath and the cloth. When it is really stubborn I pull out the liter bottle of Kodak cleaner and use a microfiber cloth. The above has kept me happy for a number of years and I hardly ever need the Kodak solution, but glad I have it when it is needed.

And no I refuse to run "clear" filters on our glass, there are few filters that I would put in front that don't offer some kind of side effect that should be avoided. The only filters I would use are AR coated and cost way too much money in the size I need (85mm). They (almost all) add some kind of distortion to the image too, whether slight color shift, or increased flare, or something else.

Yes I treat my (personal) still camera lenses the same, but I rarely need to clean them as I rarely touch the glass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Zeiss pre-moistened, comes in individual packets. Very handy to carry along as well.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    35mm
    I just use the Zeiss pre-moistened lens cloths. $3/50 at walmart.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Never use canned air on lenses. It causes local temperature change on the lens surface and the lens can easily crack! ROR is the professional solution. George
    This is not correct if the canned air is used correctly according to the instructions on the can, if it is not you can get splatter from the liquid coming out instead of gas/vapour (never ever shake the can) which may stain the lens, very little likelihood of cracking it even then. I work in precision optics and use canned air every day on lenses made from all kinds of optical glass, never cracked one yet!
    In general for camera lenses I'd recommend the camel hair brush then clean microfibre if required. At work if there are still stains I use a very high purity grade isopropyl alcohol but you cannot buy that at a retail store (the rubbing alcohol grade IPA I find leaves smears) so if that doesn't do it I will use Windex type glass cleaner. I expect other similar products like the Zeis cleaners would work as well. The key thing is to use the smallest amount possible on a fresh wipe - and only after any dust has been removed with canned air or a brush.

Shooter
    35mm
    You can buy 99% isopropyl alcohol at electronics stores like Fry's.
    f/22 and be there.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin