Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,591   Online: 1112

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Images
    I try to clean my lens only when necessary. While blowing my lens with a bulb and brusing away debris with a camel's-hair brush most often gets the lens reasonably clean, sometimes lens cleaing fluid is in order. I have been using Kodak lens cleaning fluid, with the Kodak lens cleaning tissues. I find that, at least with my technique, the Kodak fluid tends to leave a thin smeary residue, and I wipe the lens surface more than I want to to try to get the lens clear. I would appreciate your recommendations on a safe lens cleaning fluid that does a good job, and of course your techniques for cleaning lenses. Thanks. John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought some Kodak cleaning fluid and tissue and agree with your finding! I rarely use it! Looking forward to seeing some replies!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I dislike using cleaning fluid and put it off as long as possible probably because of past experience with Kodak's product. Recently I really needed to clean a couple of lenses and found a product called ROR which I used with a micro fiber cloth and a light touch. It may not be the ultimate but it beats the heck out of Kodaks for not leaving a scum. BTW I have also found that not all micro fiber cloths are created equal, some are a lot softer and presumably easier on the lens.

I will look forward to better suggestions from the others.

Images
    Life is too short... I use a can of air to blow off anything big and wipe the rest off with a microfiber cloth. I'm not talking about the $10 one you find in the impulse buy (counter) at your local photo stoor. I buy mine at Long's drug store. They were $2.99 each.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use a HAMA Lens Pen. It really works well and is awesome for getting right into the edges of the lens. One end of it has a lens brush, and the other end has what looks like a small cloth covered suction cup (which has a plastic over cap when not in use). I was skeptical at first because a dealer gave it to me with a lens purchase. But man, just a few gentle circular motions and my lens is totally crystal. I highly recommend it.

Ross

Don't you worry about long term use of the pen as it must accumulate grit particles no matter how well you blow or brush the lens off beforehand. Heck, I even wash my microfiber cloths from time to time and don't often use them even then. If I'm careful it's easily a year or more before a lens gets anything more than air or soft brush. But Colorado is a long ways from salt spray.

ROR or green Windex. A big part of the problem is that many lens-cleaning tissues somewhat dissolve; that's what makes the gunk. I use Kimwipes, but unfortunately they don't come in the handy small packet.

Lenses shouldn't need much scrubbing. If your lenses really need cleaning more than once a month or so you most likely should just use a UV filter so that when it gets scratched and foggy you'll be throwing away only the filter.

BTW...I was around the last time magic lens-cleaning cloths and brushes were the rage. Eventually enough people got tired of scratching their lenses that those things faded away. It's not that the cloths are bad, it's the grit etc that's picked up in the cloth.

Never use canned air on lenses. It causes local temperature change on the lens surface and the lens can easily crack! ROR is the professional solution. George

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    ROR ( avery small amount) on a Kauser Microfibre cloth for stubborn marks but if your lens is fitted with a filter then it should only need MINIMAL cleaning ( the odd blast with an air bulb). Prevention is better than cure!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Lenspen,I don't like liquids they quite often cause more problems than they cure, they can get into the lens at the edges and cause seperation in the Canada Balsam that's used to cement the elements togeather, in extreme cases.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 09-26-2009 at 10:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin