Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,589   Online: 969

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Jock Sturges in action

I just found this little film with photographer Jock Sturges in action (not much though).
    For you who don't know who he is, there will be some nudity.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...96643257649246
    I know that there should be a part I where he photographs too, but I don't have that link right now.

Too bad I don't speak french

/ Marcus

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Me again

Here you have the other link.
    For you who can't wait you have to wind to 10:13

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...61168840265692
    / Marcus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Marcus. I don`t speak a word French either, let`s hope a French speaking Apug member can do a quick translation..
    Amund

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks -- the clip in the woods is the better one, imo -- but in both we see Jock concerned with making the picture, with light and tone, with pursuit of the "grace" he describes as his evident goal.

Sadly, I expect the usual reactionary "concerns" to follow later on in this thread.

I always enjoy seeing video of top photographers interacting with their subjects. So often documentaries on photographers eliminate the working entirely, cut it away (in favor of, say, some record company executive talking about how great some snap of a celebrity is). I have found that one of my own stumbling issues is being able to verbalize what I want visually while I'm shooting it -- I know what I want, know how to move my gear and eye around to get it, but it doesn't verbalize well as instructions to the subject. This is probably why I like the cabin clip more than the beach, Jock's comments to the models seem more focussed (though he is that way on the beach, too).

Finally, I see that Jock's assistant (sa femme?) is holding both a large and small reflector... hard to tell if she's aiming them in different places during the exposure or they're just desparately trying to get as much light as possible to feed the 8x10.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've been to a famous nudist beast in Vancouver a few times, and it's a cool place. The only thing that really makes me laugh is when I see guys wearing T-shirts and nothing else. The nothing else seems a bit gratuitous if you need to wear a T-shirt. I mean, great, be free, but it's sort of amusing to have to go to some lengths to do it (because the weather doesn't suit nudity, or whatever).
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    @bjorke: I like both the clip in the wood and the beach. The wood is a bit longer and if I just understood french it would be nice to understand the models. However on the beach they don't seem to take it to seriously and just run off to the water when they are done.

/ Marcus

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    He is younger than I thought he would be.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    He is younger than I thought he would be.
    He was born 1947, but maybe he has just stayed out off the yellow M

/ Marcus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    I've been to a famous nudist beast in Vancouver a few times, and it's a cool place. The only thing that really makes me laugh is when I see guys wearing T-shirts and nothing else...
    What makes me laugh is when they wear their Freudian slips...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brummelisa View Post
    He was born 1947, but maybe he has just stayed out off the yellow M

/ Marcus
    Could just be a result of the bad video.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin