Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,953   Online: 1093

Thread: Zeiss Jewell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Zeiss Jewell

I havn't seen a Zeiss Jewell camera and can't find a picture of one. Does anyone know were a picture of a Jewell is located?
    Thanks,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Try searching for Ica Juwel instead.

That's the same camera as the Zeiss Ikon Juwel - the company changed its name, not the camera.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Ole, It was the spelling that I missed, I found some cameras and they were what I thought they would look like. I also found a description of a tropical camera. I wondered what was different other than the wood and hardware. I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with insects eating their bellows up.
    Curt

Polished teak wood body with specially treated black leather bellows to resist insects. No glue is used and all metal parts are made of aluminum, nickel, and German silver (unverified).
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've never really understood the "tropical" thing, except that the bone glue which was typically used to attach the leather covering to the camera body tends to soften in warm humid climates. And I'm sure both bone glue and "common" leather are prime growth mediums for mould...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Found one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

a time worn traveler

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I havn't seen a Zeiss Jewell camera and can't find a picture of one. Does anyone know were a picture of a Jewell is located?
    Thanks,
    Curt
    For your delectation, well loved, and savoring her 21st Century incarnation as a 4x5 camera.

I removed the 3x4 back, the Kalart rfdr, and weird appurtenances accumulated over the decades.
    The original back was lost long ago, and viewfinder too. A 4x5 Deardorff was carefully shaved down to fit by a friend,
    and fastened to the original revolving frame. Essential help from Camera Bellows (http://www.camerabellows.com/).
    Last edited by df cardwell; 06-12-2008 at 11:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Thanks Ole, It was the spelling that I missed, I found some cameras and they were what I thought they would look like. I also found a description of a tropical camera. I wondered what was different other than the wood and hardware. I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with insects eating their bellows up.
    Curt
    No Polished teakwood in a Juwel. I have one of each size
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark,

Maybe a Maritime Zeiss Fest in late August ???

Don
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Mark,

Maybe a Maritime Zeiss Fest in late August ???

Don
    We definitely get together around then. Small problem in late August- an in-law wedding on 24th fills my house with too many relatives to count. But we'll work around it. I leave on tuesday for Barbados till July 8th to recuperate wife's recent knee replacement.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin