Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,378   Online: 966

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Your best lens.

Your best lens and the runnerup, any format. Based your determination on such things as resolution, contrast, saturation, bokeh, or just the look it gives. Not by usefulness.

My two top picks 1. MF Rollei 80mm Planar F2.8 HFT. Really sharp, great contrast and saturation. Gives a look that I have not been able to get from any other lens. 2. A hard pick: Probably my old Nikon 50mm F1.8 N model, although the Nikon 24mm F2.8 is a hell of a lens. The 50 edges the 24mm just because it's an outstanding lens for the price and it's sharp. The recent 50mm D lags behind.

W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    in 120 it is the 50mm on my mamiya 6. It is simply greeat in all ways. I 4x5 I love my nikkor 75mm sw. having said that everything changes depending upon need. I have a 58mm XL MC that is great in 6x9 and for shooting interiors, but useless for many things.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    120: 40mm Zenzanon PE. Utterly sharp and clear - and wide.

4x5": 150mm f:4.5 Apo-Lanthar - or possibly 15cm f:6.8 zeiss Doppel-Amatar. Both are very sharp lenses, but with personality.

5x7": 165mm f:6.8 Angulon. Wide-ish, and very "clear". and the 210/6.1 Xenar - and the older f:4.5 version of the same; and symmars from 150 to 300mm. Most of the time it seems I use the 90/8 Super Angulon though...

8x10": So far, it's the 210/6.8 Angulon. But i wouldn't like to be without the 210/5.6 symmar, or the 240, 300 or 360 Symmars, or (if I'm going more than 00m from the car) the 355/9 G-Claron. And the 121/8 Super-Angulon, or the 165/6.8 Angulon.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm...
    35mm: Maybe my Nikkor 105mm f1.8 manual focus;
    120: Probably the 150mm f4 Sonnar for Hasselblad;
    4x5: I's say the 270mm f9 Apo Artar
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Favorites--well there's the 36cm/4.5 Heliar in my avatar for that classic Heliar look on 8x10" and occasionally larger at portrait/still life distances. I also really like the Zeiss 135/3.5 Planar for 4x5"--not the greatest bokeh, but not bad, and it's fast and super-sharp for handheld LF work.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 07-05-2007 at 05:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    135mm for C220
    135mm for P67
    250mm Fuginon for 4x5

I have never been happy using a wide angle lens on any camera I've ever had one for. Strange, how similar the three above are in some ways. I guess I "see" that way.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Don't forget to add why it's your best lens. This ain't a favorites contest..
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    Don't forget to add why it's your best lens. This ain't a favorites contest..
    The choices I made are absolutely based on their being favorites! I may have better lenses than those I cited; they may have elements cemented with leprechaun spit, but so what? For me at least, all my lenses do their job well or I wouldn't own them, but the ones that matter most do it well and complement the way I see.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In 4x5 Schneider 110XL is my favorite lens. It's small, extremely sharp, compact, and it has huge coverage. Oh yeah, plus it's a really good focal length for the format.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have to go with my Nippon Kogaku Nikkor-S 5.0cm/f1.4.

It was the lens that "made" Nikon as a serious PJ camera when one was chosen from the production line to go with the S2 that some (well-known - you fill in his name) photographer from Life Magazine bought to rush over to Korea and cover the start of that war in 1950.

The photo sharpness of the lens, and consequent capability to enlarge the images w/o loss of detail, "shocked" the Life photo editors. They couldn't understand why the photog had brought a MF camera into a war theater!

[Note: My two are later production models from the mid-1950's.]

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin