Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,350   Online: 842

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    and all this time i thought
    lipitor was a bad guy in
    graphic novels, who ...

lets just say lipids had something to do with his badness ...

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post

The -ar suffix often denotes a Tessar derivative.
    The staff of my now long-gone photographic shop used to refer to all cheap lenses as "BottomBottle-ars" leaving customers thoroughly confused as they handled lenses made by Derek Gardner, Prinz and most things Russian.

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Glypto- has to do with paintings, tablets and suchlike, as in "glyptoteque", a collection of paintings. So a "Glyptar" could be a lens made for photographing paintings.

The -ar suffix often denotes a Tessar derivative.

In an obliquely related way, the -gon suffixe is derived from gonus, or angle. so most lenses ending in -gon or -on and wide angle lenses, or they are especially rectilinear reproducing angles correctly. Rodagon would then be a Rodenstock "gon".
    Glypton means "Sculpture" in greek. Therefore, the lens seems to have been capable of rendering the images more 3-dimensional (I guess it has something to do with the plasticity of the image). Glyptotheque is the place where sculptures are exposed or kept.

Rodenstock has used the ending -gon for lenses that had nothing to do with wide angles (Imagon for example). I agree that it might come from the word for "angle", though...

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    There was one mentioned in a recent magazine which I had never heard of, Thambar. I did some googling and here's what I found. I don't know how accurate it is.

Brian, the Leica Thambar lens was designed mostly for photographing women, but as Jerry mentioned, you need the rare special filter with the small silver disk in the center, to do the job it was made for, that is, to give you the soft focus for female portraiture.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou View Post
    Glypton means "Sculpture" in greek. Therefore, the lens seems to have been capable of rendering the images more 3-dimensional (I guess it has something to do with the plasticity of the image). Glyptotheque is the place where sculptures are exposed or kept.

Rodenstock has used the ending -gon for lenses that had nothing to do with wide angles (Imagon for example). I agree that it might come from the word for "angle", though...

Thanks for the correction, George.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr View Post
    There was one mentioned in a recent magazine which I had never heard of, Thambar. I did some googling and here's what I found. I don't know how accurate it is.
    "Thambos" means "blurred" or "not sharp" in Greek.

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou View Post
    "Thambos" means "blurred" or "not sharp" in Greek.
    Thank you. When I was googling it, the best I came up with as far as the origin of the term was an article about caste names in India. I'm sure that was coincidence.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Speaking of India, an ektar is a one-stringed Indian musical instrument...but that's probably purely coincidental...

...or maybe since Ektar's were Kodak's best, one might only need a single lens, an Ektar...never mind, I think I've fallen off that limb...
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you think lens names are bad, you should peruse the names given early optical lanterns and motion picture systems!

Zoopraxinoscope, phenakistoscope, biograph, kinograph, heiliograph, and on and on and on...

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I think Ole cited at some point and time and place in the past the Greek word root for 'gon' being related to angle.
    Murray

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin