Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,830   Online: 849

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: !

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use both types: Squeeze bottel when it fits, pushbutton when that's what fits. The size of the connector makes a big difference on some LF lenses.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use conventional cable releases. I came across one years ago that is metal clad and has a set screw type of retainer that has stayed with me really well. Have never come across another of that type. (Figures that the company made them well and had no replacement sales).

I will be doing the pneumatic type, as well, fairly soon. I just bought a 610 mm Apo Nikor (process lens) that I will be mounting on a Deardorf board (I hope) and will be using a Packard Shutter. I think that if I had known the size of this thing I would have passed. Definitely not a back packers lens. The rear flange is about 5 1/2 inches across and my 'dorf boards are 6" so not a lot of room to play with.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Amongst the cornfields & rednecks of central Indiana
    Neither, I hate bulbs and I hate cables. I use the IR remote for my camera to trigger for time, self-portraits, and studio shooting. I also use a PocketWizard, connected to the remote port on my Hassy's Winder CW, for long distance triggering (balcony's of churches during weddings, painting with light at night, etc.)

In studio, I have the PW firing my strobes and the IR around my wrist for triggering. It's so nice to not have any wires or cables!

Now, using a solenoid and Linhof cable, with a cheap Radio Sh*t project box, Bogen super clamp, and hot melt glue, I can attach the PW to fire LF shutters! (PW triggers the solenoid w/ 2 9-V batteries, solenoid is mounted to pull a 'U' shaped piece of metal, opposite end of 'U' pushes the cable release for me!

Hot melt glue & duct tape holds it together and the Bogen SC holds it to my tripod...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (docholliday @ Feb 17 2003, 03:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Now, using a solenoid and Linhof cable, with a cheap Radio Sh*t project box, Bogen super clamp, and hot melt glue, I can attach the PW to fire LF shutters&#33; (PW triggers the solenoid w/ 2 9-V batteries, solenoid is mounted to pull a &#39;U&#39; shaped piece of metal, opposite end of &#39;U&#39; pushes the cable release for me&#33;

Hot melt glue & duct tape holds it together and the Bogen SC holds it to my tripod...</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Could you post an image of this set-up?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Post a schematic too please.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aggie,

there is one advantage of the air release over the cable release: it can be as long as 30 feet and is still packable and smooth in his function. A cable release, on the other hand, can be prepressed to a certain (usually known) trigger point. You cannot rely on this with an air release.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin