Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,840   Online: 788

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hate the squeeze bottle. All the ones I've used are cheap and have a high failure rate. But, they are the only thing that works (for my cameras) when needing to trip the shutter from some distance.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I would get the one with the push button and I would get at least two. You can easily donate one to the wilds of where ever you are. Back ups become very handy. I have not always followed this advice but do now. I carry three. Eventually, I will have one on every shutter all the time.

lee/c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lee @ Feb 16 2003, 08:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I would get the one with the push button and I would get at least two.&nbsp; You can easily donate one to the wilds of where ever you are.&nbsp; Back ups become very handy.&nbsp; I have not always followed this advice but do now.&nbsp; I carry three.&nbsp; Eventually, I will have one on every shutter all the time.

lee/c</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Good advice&#33; I have lost so many of these things that I sometimes think I&#39;ve single handedly kept the cable release industry in business. I would only add that the kind with the ring lock are better than the ones that lock via a a hand screw.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Same goes for flash cords. You always want two or three.

Many people think that Linhof cable releases are the best, and they&#39;re fortunately one of the more affordable Linhof accessories.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don&#39;t know about your shutters, but if I am out in the boonies and have lost my cable release I just tie a piece of thread (actually several twirled together) to the shutter release lever. Works in a pinch, but kind of useless for time exposures. I make this little thread release about 10 inches long. Actually you could use it for time exp&#39;s by tying something heavy enough to it to keep the shutter tripped during the exposure. That way your shaky hand won&#39;t transmit any shake to the camera. Lack of wind would be a necessity&#33;

Just call me the Inspector Gadget of LF LOL&#33;
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

For those who may ever be interested, Calumet has a squeeze bulb one that is very high quality and with variable length hosing. The bulb is the kind used for a sphygnomometer. If Cindy Sherman were on this forum I&#39;d recommend one for her since she ONLY does self portraits&#33;

Anyway...

For cables, I took a hint from Jack Dykinga&#39;s book: I have one already screwed into every LF lens I have, and one for each camera bag, even the LF ones. More than a few times one has kinked or fallen off or was left in a hotel room or something and I simply used another one from the bag or another lens. Saved my butt countless times. I am kind of in the habit of getting one whenever I am at a camera store or local swap meet...five times a year or whatever...

dgh

David G Hall

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the pushbutton ones better. The squeeze bulb type is a pain to use. I like to know for sure that when I mash the button, the lens will fire. Squeeze bulbs do not always create enough pressure to do it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Mamiya 645 doesn&#39;t get on well with cable releases...

I had the same cheapy one for years when using my Nikon....

I got a beater Mamiya 645 and the destruction began...

When carrying the 645 around on the tripod I usually lock off the shutter release so I don&#39;t fire off pictures of the ground/sky. After setting up a shot, I forget to unlock the shutter and press the cable release which 9 times out of ten destroys it&#33; (One day I&#39;m gunna learn that if there&#39;s any resistance.. stop pushing on it&#33;&#33;&#33

After a couple of 5 buck cheapo ones, I decided to buy a &#036;70 (Aussie dollars BTW) super duper one.... 2nd day using it... oops... broke that too&#33;

I&#39;m back to &#036;5 ones...

One kind to avoid, in my experience (although I think they are directlyh recommended in one of the AA trilogy) is the kind with the clear plastic sheath. I have had several, and they seem to stick the most...stick extended, that is, complicating recocking the shutter and T and B shutter settings.

dgh
    David G Hall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin