Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,751   Posts: 1,515,838   Online: 985

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    (Silly man - you can miss lots of interesting things that way, such as the latest oddities in physics) You mean you are planning on skipping the conference next spring?
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum240/
    Ah... I'm allergic to alphabet soup.

Would anyone pay Kevin's air-fare?

Quite honestly, physics affects me more than anything I have to fly to any more. The terrorists have won, not by frightening me, but by persuading me that I can't be assed to do it.

Cheers (and thanks),

Roger
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    With cameras so cheap these days, and the availability of repair manuals, why not just do some reapirs on your own?.. hands on learning. Buy some leaf shutter folders and start there learning how to DIY shutter repairs. What are you going to loose trying?... $5 on some junker? You just may wind up with a closet full of good working cameras like the rest of us camera addicts.

Start out by getting a good set of screwdrivers, a spanner, and clean up a spce in the house you feel comfortable to live in for the rest of your life. Check out MicroTools on the internet for tools n supplies. You'll be amazed at how easy it is and how much fun you will have with your new hobby.

Oh there are plenty of DIY sites for information. Once you get set up, just ask and everyone will tell you where to get free repair manuals and advice.

Start with htese sites...

http://kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/sea...e=ON&where=all
    http://www.nelsonfoto.com/v/index.php
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can anyone comment on the Natcam scripts (in relation to Tomosy's books?).
    On the site of Natcam one finds some content description but no sample facsimile. They seem to be decent though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    What are you going to loose trying?... $5 on some junker? You just may wind up with a closet full of good working cameras like the rest of us camera addicts.
    Or a box full of spares!

I agree though, just have a go on something cheap which is already broken. Buy some old, non-working cameras specifically to try to repair them. I decided a long time ago that if someone else can do something, so can I.

Now the pedantic bit... It's lose, not loose. Possibly the most mis-spelled word on internet forums!

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No you see whacha dun? I'm frum da bronks and here we say whadaya gunna loose!

I type faster than I can read and htis causes many many typos. I re-edit my posts several times but still niss things. I spell adn n teh and many more words wrong. I think uyo get the idea?

So whadaya gunna loose? fydallars?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Now the pedantic bit... It's lose, not loose. Possibly the most mis-spelled word on internet forums!

Steve.
    .... along with "gauge/guage" !!!!!

Steve R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Can anyone comment on the Natcam scripts (in relation to Tomosy's books?).
    On the site of Natcam one finds some content description but no sample facsimile. They seem to be decent though.
    I have the full set of 39 NatCam books. Of course several of them cover motion picture cameras, slide projectors and movie projectors. The one on the SLR is 168 pages and has detailed info on working on the original Nikon F, including step-by-step (screw by screw detail) instructions. Craig Camera has the individual books in the set, and you may be able to find the whole thing on e-bay if you are patient. I have the Tomosy books, as well as a number of original and reprint repair manuals for the cameras I dig into. Some are nothing more than glorified parts lists. There were also some specific texts that went with the NatCam course on very popular cameras (IE. Pentak K1000, Minolta STR101) that you should strive to get also.
    If you are really serious, you will need to shop for some test equipment - at minimum getting a shutter speed tester with a calibrated light source - look for a Camline or Kyoritsu, and maybe an auto collimator to check lenses - there was a Gokosha recently for auction at $1200. And don't forget obtaining old issues of the "Camera Craftsman" (mid 1950's to early 1970's) and the SPT Journal (early 1970s' almost to date - but electronics had taken over by the mid 1990's). BTW, been there, done that!
    Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Instead of a shutter tester, consider an oscilloscope. You may have to improvise accessories, but the 'scope will tell you much more than a simple shutter tester.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is the only camera repair school I know about.

http://www.spt.info/CandC/AboutCC

There was a repairman named Ed Romney that used to have publications for sale. His site is interesting but I've never bought any of his materials.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin