Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,951   Online: 1095

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    'Seen and not taken today' moments never seem to leave. The ones long past are as memorable as one from yesterday. I guess the single 'unpicture' I treasure most is from 12 years ago, down at Little Farmer's Cay in the Exumas:

Hiking the island under a late afternoon sun, my wife and I come upon a tiny, brilliant-white beach tightly framed with stunning, gnarly trees. The glassy water off the beach shines diamond-green, the whole seascape twinkling from thin, concentric ripples pumping out from an anchored skiff where a big, red-shirted man crouches midships, working over a tall, yellow pile of conch. A barebacked youngster leans over the bow, surveying the bottom through an old, slatty-sided glass-bottomed, wooden bucket. Standing in waist-high water aside the bright-blue lapstrake hull is a very fit, very wet, very black Bahamian hoisting conch up over the gunwale into the boat. His muscles ripple and gleam in the sun as only dark skin can, and for an instant the three of them and the boat are set in perfect Degas-like juxtaposition – a color photograph to die for had I my F2 stowed back on the boat.

Wonderful how the mind can store such pictures.

Shooter
    Large Format
    about 100 canadian geese flying in formation
    3 v's flying fast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Pink cumulus beneath a nearly setting sun on the way home. Great 'silver lining' detail. It was absolutely beautiful.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Today...the most amazing cloud formations in the sky due to the incredibly strong winds we've been experiencing over the past few days. Could have blown a whole roll on some amazingly abstract clouds that I think began life as contrails. Unfortunately, I did not have my camera with me.

However, there are two shots that did not get away (as I did have my camera with me) but that I didn't take (love the idea of 'unpictures'), and that I still think about to this day. The first was four years ago while I was living in Japan. I was on the train, going home after a trip, and across the aisle were an elderly woman and a teenager, sitting in facing seats towards each other. The woman was old, severly bent over as many elderly Japanese are (especially in the countryside) and wearing a kimono or yukata. The teenage was very heavily made up in goth style, with a very black flouncy skirt, black boots, stockings, etc. It was a great contrast in age and Japanese fashion...but I couldn't take a shot because I felt too insecure to invade their privacy in such a way (although I don't think I would have that problem today....)

The other time was over a year ago, in Paris, walking down Rue Rivoli and passing a place that made crepes. There was a bit of line to get something warm and sweet (nutella crepes are great!) and just the image of the crepe-maker standing over the griddle and being envelopped by steam (lit by amazing side-lignting as well) is one I'll not likely forget. I don't know why I didn't try to take a picture then, and am still kicking myself about it now. Of course, I've been to Paris many times since then, and have walked by that same location, but the weather and the people and the light have never been the same (it never is) as it was that November.

Images
    The seventh and eighth graders going to lunch as viewed from the second floor.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A clump of trees on the corner of a field where water collects into a little pool and an old wodden cross amongst the trees. Been driving by this for years and it's only three miles from home. Why do we photographers have these mysterious subjects that we would love to shoot but just, for some boneheaded reason, drive by inexplicably? Gonna start a thread on this.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Large Format
    local buildings under construction
    wrapped in plastic
    billowing in the wind and rain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Every single day, on the Parkway, Turnpike, or other interstate highway; red tail hawks. They often sit just 10 feet off the ground in trees just a few feet from the shoulder. Usually by the time you see them, you have already passed them at 80mph, or there is not enough room to pull over and get some shots.

Now if I spent an entire day looking for one? Not a chance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was in my darkroom today with two guys being re-introduced to film and printing after a long absence.

Eyes wide and grinning
    Steeley determination
    Walking tall with pride
    The smug feeling like an old flame is back in town

Shooter
    Large Format
    a tornado of leaves swirling around and around on a front lawn.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin