Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,924   Posts: 1,585,018   Online: 1016

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images
    I hope this doesn't get me banned from apug! LOL! I am looking for a nice monitor for my PC. I do a fair amount of photoshop work (don't panic, I am working with 100 meg drum scans of my negs) and a ton of gaming. I am looking at the 19 & 21" Sony Monitors. Anyone have any experience with them? I am also going to be purchasing a spyder and software along with it for calibration, but that is a whole nother can o' wurms!

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Brian,
    I use a Sony multiscan E540 at work. Plenty big, no glare, very sharp and color acurate. I use it for prepress work for some very big clients and have had no complaints so far.
    Scott
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a Sony 21inch Trinitron which I like (nice for gaming too).

PLUS- seems to be very sharp, accurate, great color

MINUS- two grill lines, one at the top and one at the bottom of the screen. Hard to see but annoys some people. I find it highly annoying trying to get the screen adjusted (you go into the settings and make it more wide and high, to find one side is off the screen, when you adjust that then one corner goes off, you try to re-adjust everything using trapezoid, etc, and no luck. It seems almost impossible to get the screen the full width and height of the glass in a perfect square. I ended up having mine 1/4 inch from the sides and top to get a perfect square. It is also a VERY bright screen, I initially had mine turned all the way down and it was still way too bright, I then used my video card to dim it down a little and it's been fine. I'm dreaming of the day IBM's 300dpi flatpanel is within consumer reach (right now mostly for medical use).

Images
    I'm currious about the grill lines, I've read alittle about them. Sounds kind of strange to me. I'll have to go to a store to check them out first. I've got a 19" Compaq CRT at work that is totally oversaturated. The screen is not square at all either.

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Sony E200 17" screen at home and it has the grill lines. Thought I'd gotten a dud at first! A bit of asking around turned up that it's normal!!! What a design feature... You get used to ignoring them (depending on what's on the screen they can be hard to actually see) They can come in handy to check horizons in pics

Cem

Get either a Mitsubishi or Sony, the biggest one you can afford. These are far superior to all other CRTs and current LCDs out there for imagimg work. The grids are a non issue for me, compared to the image quality the trinitron/diamondtron technology brings along with those thin lines. That spyder thing is great, basically "priceless" if you do color correction.
    I use a Mitsubishi 22" with Spyder and Pantone OptiCal software, and can't ask for more in terms of image quality of the monitor and consistency with Durst Lambda output.
    Cem Topdemir

Images
    I'm stuck between the 19" sony and the 21". Any opinions on size? I am leaning to the 19" for budget reasons now...
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the sony 19" at home but would prefer the 21" Desk space and viewing distance is problematic with the 21" At a previous job I had the 21" it was great but it required a 40" deep desk (it would have been impossible in a cube) so that I could be sufficiently away from the monitor and still have room for the keyboard in front and the wall behind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I got my 21inch Sony used. It was 2 years old and nearly 1/4 the price of a new one. It's been fine and looks new. You could have a look around some used shops in town...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin