Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,234   Posts: 1,532,939   Online: 978

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How do you buy a 5x7 or an 8x10 enlarger?

Spend too much time on the bay and the list and even drove some to get one only to find it sold right out under me. Are some people just destined to be without one in that size? I tried to get one from England, but he said it was only to be sold in France because the US is too far for anyone to pay shipping. I was willing to pay the going rate plus handling. Maybe AA had it right, just cobble one together from an old camera. This is the worst year I have ever had?

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    Curt, I looked hard, and couldn't find anything. Then one day a nice person gave me a usable 5x7. I have had several close misses with 8x10. I'm tired of waiting too. A buddy has given me an 11x14 copy camera. I'm going to try and make that work. I know you have more tools and skills than I do, so maybe it's just the best option. When the great one falls in your lap, you can consider passing on the other to somebody you mentor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Curt, I looked hard, and couldn't find anything. Then one day a nice person gave me a usable 5x7. I have had several close misses with 8x10. I'm tired of waiting too. A buddy has given me an 11x14 copy camera. I'm going to try and make that work. I know you have more tools and skills than I do, so maybe it's just the best option. When the great one falls in your lap, you can consider passing on the other to somebody you mentor.

You are absolutely right, I think a copy camera can be a good alternative, it does seem that when a person stops looking one pops up. It's interesting how AA started out with a bank of light bulbs and opal glass then evolved to a cold light grid. Shows how adaptation might be the answer instead of looking for some huge machine. Also, never internet with a headache.

I hope you can get yours to work, it sounds good, enlarging up to 11x14 could be a plus if possible. I looked into making my Beseler 45 into a 5x7 and found that a 5" extension and the 5x7 cold light I already have will work. I would need to make a negative carrier but that's all. This is what I might do in the mean time. No cutting of the original enlarger, just an extension to raise the light source and negative up. I have an extra 45 head that I was going to cut up to make one but in testing I found that at 5" there is no light cut off and with my Schneider Componon 180 lens it works out fine.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Curt, pro-labs are getting rid of a lot of LF enlargers both in Europe & the US, some find second homes via ebay etc but a great many are just scrapped.

My own local pro-lab (when I'm in the UK) removed all but one of their 5x4/5x7 enlargers and at least 3 or 4 went for landfill, all fully operational, I know because they were lying in a skip when I visited one day. I could have had a 5x4 they'd saved for free but bought a 10x8 De Vere instead.

Ask around the labs don't wait until they need the space so just throw them out, often they'd like them to go to a new home and be used and they don't sell for much on ebay. The lab I bought my 10x8 off wasgoing to have to send enlargers to landfill as there were no buyersv for some of them.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have an old Burke & James 11x14 (Princeton?) copy camera that I purchased for the back and a couple Packard shutters with the thought of making a horizontal enlarger out of it someday Only the double bellows and front assembly remain, but if you think you might be interested in it, pm me with an offer. It would be expensive to ship.

Complete units (usually with only an 8x10 back) including the floor cabinet and rails show up on eBay once in awhile. I've seen them go between $450-$750.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There was a studio in L.A. selling it's 8x10" enlarger in the APUG classifieds a day or two ago. Take a look.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's an incomplete (?) Durst on the Chicago craigslist currently. Dunno what it needs. Fellow's dropped the price by $100 since last week & may be willing to be more flexible.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I went through the same thing for about a year and would have been happy with a 5x7 or 8x10, I photograph in both formats. Every time I found one it was 2000 miles away, too expensive to ship. I scoured eBay and Craigslist every day and finally purchased a pretty good DeVere 5108 with Difcon B&W diffusion head. You just have to keep looking. Interestingly, the best searches I found for Craigslist were "8x10" and "5x7" as opposed to "darkroom" and "enlarger"..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Earlier this year i got an 8x10 for $100 from a closed down lab in the detroit area. They gave me a second giant 4x5 version as well but i didn't have room in the 8ft trailer. Since car photography isn't done optically anymore, check the detroit area
    . I know Ford was threw away most of their LF film, tons of it!
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I won a Chromega 8x10 complete with 300mm Rodagon lens for $127. on ebay recently, and it was within driving distance (150 miles). It was just luck. First time I have ever seen an 8x10 for sale even remotely near me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin