Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,456   Online: 1152

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    35mm
    Everyone.

From this point on can we please stick with the original post? "The Shot That Got Away". I would feel more comfortable were we to do so. If not, then I strongly suggest that we end this thread.

Phillip although I have not eaten at Chick-Fil-A in over a decade, I would have to agree with your statement, it is pretty good.

I thank you for lightening up the mood with your words!

Jamusu.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ross.

No offense taken. Your opinion is well valued. In fact, it will make me more conscious of my surroundings in the future.

I humbly thank you,
    Jamusu.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First major venture with new 10x8 after doing testing. Beautiful snow covered landscape with epic feel that I had waited two years for in Snowdonia, Wales. Took about 8 frames and tearing to get home and develop them.......FAULTY FILM! Maco up100 (Efke 100) was rated at 50 but looked like it would not be making ei 12 (tried DDX on back up frames but to no avail - never seen anything like it. Awful Dmax too...... Massive fog levels and weird black flecks in the emulsion. No decent resolution either, just fluffy. Reshot some test frames at home and just the same, whereas another pack of 5x4 was fine. And no, the film was not in upside down. I was gutted as the printed images still had something but were not of a quality that could be enoyed at all. But they did who what it could have been. Here I am at home in N wales 2 years later and there is no snow even in mid Jan and I have no idea if I will be able to shot tat scene again. GUTTED! Oh, well, I have film and a camera so...next time!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    jamusu,

Though you called for ending the conflict I think ending it with an unfair and brutal attack on George hardly seems right.

You went way overboard attacking George and taking his statements as rascist. He has merely making the salient point that by documentary standards a mexican/ african american tension in the south is currently
    at a more volatile level than a black/white. Whether it is or not is subjective. His statements had nothing negative about anyone's race in them. No one can address social movements without describing the players.

Your best point is that for you there is relevance in your perception and your portrayal. Fine. But I really think you owe George an apology. You skewed his words dramatically.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nah, nothing major that stalks my dreams. What really haunts me is not the things I do wrong, but the things I do not do.

I miss public/people shots because of several reasons. I'm not bold enough to take pictures of people, and too shy to ask for an upclose portrait.
    Also, my mind is split regarding wether it is right or not. On one hand, my intentions are to capture something real, a glimpse of life to be preserved and shared as a small part of our cultural legacy. On the other hand I fully emapthize with those who want to be able to go about their buisness without being knowingly or unknowlingly recorded. If I hadn't been into photography as I am, I would probably feel suspicious of people with cameras. Their intentions, motivations, and what will happen with the pictures they take. I would (and partially do) think that it's a moral personal violation.
    On a similar note though, isn't it rather discouraging to take pictures of strangers if you cannot legally share these photos with the public? Sure, you can ask for permission and all, but how often are you in a position where it's possible/suitable/favourable? If you take a photo of an old man on his bike rolling down the cobblepath with his little furry dog in the front basket with tongue flapping around, do you run after him screaming?

Back in the days when I was in school and shot mainly digital I lost a few gems to blur and unfocus, but they are not of much value to me anymore anyway. I lost a good one (120 b/w) of a photo buddy to a pinch mark not long ago. I'm pretty bummed over that one.

That's what I have to contribute with for now.

Images
    There is a whole other way to look at this.

You did not miss the shot. A camera records what we see. Te shot was recorded in our minds before that. All you missed was the ability to share that image with others. Unless you suffer from senility or brain injury that image is with you.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    Ljusdahl.

I dare not disagree with your perspective of whether it is right or wrong. I struggled with the same issue as I photographed the gentleman while he read.

It was my assumption that he figured out I was photographing him because he looked at me from time to time and smiled, only to continue his reading, but it is only an assumption. That was the first time that I had done as such, and afterwards I had feelings of guilt for doing so. I reflected on the experience and asked myself, were they smiles of nervousness, shyness, or acceptance? Such thoughts I ponder; thoughts that whisper to me when I think of developing the roll of film.

I developed a separate roll last night, but could not bring myself to develop the roll with his images. In fact, I left it at home. I am debating whether or not I will keep those frames when and if I develop the film. I may destroy them and keep those that remain. If only I had informed him afterwards. If only.

By doing so, instead of an assumption I would have both certainty and a definitive answer to the question that dwells within my inner being, "WHAT IF?"

Nor would I think myself a hypocrite for capturing the images in the first place.

Jamusu.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jamusu.
    If I was in your position I'd return to the library the same day you took that picture, until you give up or see him again. If you're lucky he visits the library regulary and your question could be answered. Do you think that's a possibility for you?

Shooter
    35mm
    Ljusdahl,

I have thought of it. I was there two days ago to check out another photography book for my studies and did not see him. I will check again when I return them or pick up more.

Jamusu.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Perhaps it's always in the forefront of memory as the one that got away, because experiencing first hand instead of through a viewfinder shows ,in a way, how the camera can sometimes be a barrier to another experience to be had. For me it was most memorable, the 15 seconds I was NOT looking at the viewfinder during a full solar eclipse. You could have ask the old guy, and he would have happily obliged to have his photo taken. I bet you took away a more memorable experience. I don't do street so I have not had that situation.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin