Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,467   Online: 1118

Shooter
    Medium Format

Name those Aromas

Someone interested in taking my Ilfochrome printing class said she is "sensitive" to certain smells.
    She asked "What do the chems smell like?"
    Honestly, I didn't have an answer.
    I know what they smell like, dev, blx, fix, but how do you relate those smells to everyday aromas?
    Are there any equivalents?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    old socks, i think...? at least my dirty socks do... but my biochemistry is probably half fixer by weight...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by davetravis View Post
    Someone interested in taking my Ilfochrome printing class said she is "sensitive" to certain smells.
    She asked "What do the chems smell like?"
    Honestly, I didn't have an answer.
    I know what they smell like, dev, blx, fix, but how do you relate those smells to everyday aromas?
    Are there any equivalents?
    Sensitive to certain smells sound like a brain thing. Since we are similar organisms we can assume that we experience various stimuli in a similar fashion, but knowing if the smell of blix is going to trigger the memory of her dead dog Ralph is a crapshoot at best.

If she is on the other hand sensitized or allergic to certain things, she needs to figure out what those things are.

I can't think of what else you could do besides furnishing a list of the chemicals used, and perhaps suggesting a visit to your darkroom, or one near her if she is not local.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's the aroma of creative potential!!!

I think the only aroma I've ever noticed was stop bath when I'm mixing it. Tell her it's "Mind over Matter" - you don't mind; and she doesn't matter!!!!

Good Luck Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    By way of background, I am a health professional by training (but I no longer practice). Now for a minor rant.

I always have trouble with this notion of sensitive to certain smells; especially when I see signs in hospitals asking that perfumed products not be worn due to sensitivity to odors. Clearly the term sensitive is used to conjure up the image of allergy, but carefully avoiding the term allergy. Health proffesionals understand allergy and that it can be life threatening. Sensitive to odors is an unknown.

It is much like the patients that claim an allergy to drugs. What they mean is that they had an adverse reaction - often soemthing minor like upset stomache. But in the health professional, it sends up the red flag of anaphylaxis.

I often wonder how much is required to come up with a diagnosis of Munchausen syndrome. End rant.

I would suggest inquiring further about what the sensitivity is - what chemicals/smells, and what the reaction is. This should help you decide if this is a person you really want to deal with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ammonia smells a lot like certain unwashed body parts that shall remain nameless for now. It's really noticeable when you use selenium toner. HC-110 also reminds me of certain bodily odors. I guess it's because all these products come from organic chemistry, and we are also organic chemicals.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    It's the aroma of creative potential!!!

I think the only aroma I've ever noticed was stop bath when I'm mixing it. Tell her it's "Mind over Matter" - you don't mind; and she doesn't matter!!!!

Good Luck Dave

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm "sensitive to" certain smells too, meaning that they give allergy-like symptoms which can be alleviated with antihistamines.

But in my case I have enough background in chemistry that I've managed to find out that they are all terpenols, which aren't used in any photo chemicals I've ever come across. Only in perfumes, laundry, detergents, air fresheners, sweets (!), orange peel, geraniums, and so on. I read "Natural scent" or "aroma" as a warning to keep away.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    what do they smell like????.....bliss hehehehehehe!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    By way of background, I am a health professional by training (but I no longer practice). Now for a minor rant.

I always have trouble with this notion of sensitive to certain smells; especially when I see signs in hospitals asking that perfumed products not be worn due to sensitivity to odors. Clearly the term sensitive is used to conjure up the image of allergy, but carefully avoiding the term allergy. Health proffesionals understand allergy and that it can be life threatening. Sensitive to odors is an unknown.

It is much like the patients that claim an allergy to drugs. What they mean is that they had an adverse reaction - often soemthing minor like upset stomache. But in the health professional, it sends up the red flag of anaphylaxis.

I often wonder how much is required to come up with a diagnosis of Munchausen syndrome. End rant.

I would suggest inquiring further about what the sensitivity is - what chemicals/smells, and what the reaction is. This should help you decide if this is a person you really want to deal with.
    Nigel,
    Food for thought, thanks!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin