Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,623   Online: 983

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adorama Used

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have to second KEH.

I tried to buy from Adorama ONCE.

ONCE.

Everything was on "backorder". Which is really weird for Extachrome 100 and TMax. I was never told that things were backordered. Just that they hadn't been shipped yet.

Ick.

KEH on the other hand tends to be very generous with their ratings system!

You can't go wrong with them it seems.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert Kennedy @ May 11 2003, 05:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

Everything was on &quot;backorder&quot;. Which is really weird for Extachrome 100 and TMax. I was never told that things were backordered. Just that they hadn&#39;t been shipped yet.
    </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Hope this doesn&#39;t happen to me. I&#39;ve got a wish list setup on the B&H site. To save on shipping I&#39;ve been hoping to have one big order. Problem is every time they get one thing in something else on my list is out of stock. Adorama claims all the stuff I want is in stock. Getting this stuff locally would kill me. The local guys want more then 2x the price from the US.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I once purchased several hundred dollars worth of 4 x 5 Fuji colour film from Adorama and carried it back to the UK together with the B&W film that I&#39;d exposed in the US. When I used the first of the colour film there were some strange marks on it when I processed it. I took it to Fuji UK whose technical department couldn&#39;t figure out what caused the marks and luckily for me they replaced the whole batch of film although I didn&#39;t ask them too, I also told them whwre I had bought it. We finally decided that it was grey import. I&#39;ve never been in Adorama since. When I&#39;m in New York I use Lens and Repro and have had some great deals and wonderful service.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

www.keh.com 404.892.5522

1. 100% all the way

2. 14 day return

3. &#036;9.95 s/h

4. 60 day warranty

I second Les on Lens and Repro in NYC. They are the most professional store in NYC and there is rarely a equipment or material question they cant answer. And they stand behind their sales 100%.

DKT

I bought a Rollei 35S from KEH back in 1990, that I had to return to them twice for repairs. The focus ring wasn&#39;t engaged with the lens, even though the camera was listed as being very good. It was spotless otherwise, just wouldn&#39;t focus. I sent it back asap, they said the fixed it, but when I got it back it looked like nothing had been done. So, back it went & they fixed it again and it&#39;s been fine ever since, but it took me about 2 weeks to get this straightened out. Could have been a fluke, I dunno, but I haven&#39;t dealt with them since. About the only mail order place I&#39;ve used has been Calumet, which isn&#39;t always the cheapest place, but you can get great customer service through them & the folks on the other end of the line know what they&#39;re talking about too.

KT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Before purchasing mail order from any unfamiliar vendor, I would suggest checking out comments on the camera shop forum at photonet under community/reviews.
    There are over 4500 comments about vendors, good, bad and downright ugly.

Some examples: KEH, MPEX- excellent; B&H, Calumet, Beach- good among many others, and downright ugly- Cambridge, AAA camera and video among many others.

You know you should stay away when 95% of the post titles are something like "Lying Thieving Snakepit", or Lies, Fraud and Deceit&#33; (That one is mine pertaining to being burned by Cambridge a few years ago before I was aware of that forum.

It is a good resource and I would encourage people to contribute a comment either good or bad about transactions you have. The more poeple are warned about shops doing poor and sometimes fraudulent practices the better the chance they will eventually go out of business.

One little piece of advice is to be wary of new companies that spring up, especially in NY. Some companies will operate on the margins of the law and when the pressure from the BBB or state attorney general gets to great, they will shut down and reincorporate under a new name possibly filing papers in a new state.
    In that forum there are links in some posts to bulletins put out by the BBB outlining this practice.

Anyway, hope this helps someone in the future save some money, time and headaches.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

So about Adorama. Do they communicate at all? Or are they the quiet kind? I sent my order a while back. Got an email confirming it. But they haven&#39;t billed my CC yet. Now I&#39;m not complaining about them not taking the money but if they have a problem I sort of figured they&#39;d email me or something. I guess tomorrow I&#39;ll drop them an email.

Images
    Well, I went againt the advice of a few here and ordered something from then on Sunday. I did it via phone. It arrived better than described by the salesperson last evening. I&#39;ll probably buy from the magain.

Brian
    hi!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin