Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,020   Online: 943

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adorama Used

Shooter
    Large Format
    I do a fair amount of mail order, and my experiences with Adorama have been positive, to date. Recently, I needed 2 sizes of paper to print for an exhibition, and I had tight deadlines. The salesman from Adorama called me back to let me know that they noticed damage on the outside packagaing of one of their shipments, meaning that one size may have damage. I was told this with enough time to purchase from another vendor, which I did.

Adorama was willing to give up a sale, and they created loyalty, as far as I'm concerned. They're the first place I call now.

Also, Adorama brand paper is Ilford repackaged at a great saving. I was skeptical at first, but now I enjoy the price.

Steven Nestler

Steven Nestler
    http://stevennestler.com

I forgot to mention my order came. They are a quiet lot. Don't answer emails. but the order was complete and the total cost marginally less then B&H. The price difference wasn't enough to make me order from them but then they had what I wanted in stock while B&H didn't.

If you plan to purchase used goods from Adorama, I would recommend doing it by telephone, and not through their web site. Their used equipment web listings are not kept current, and they seem to have some shady business practices when it comes to internet orders.

I tried purchasing a used Canon EOS 1D from Adorama, via their web site. I received an e-mail response the next day saying the camera had already been sold, but that they would hold my credit card authorization until they got another used 1D in. They never did get another used one, and it took weeks of e-mailing, phoning, and complaining to get them to release the authorization on my credit card.

For some reason, they seem to think that once you place an order, it can only be cancelled at their discretion, even if they don't have the item in stock. I guess this keeps customers from shopping elsewhere, unless they have really high limits on their credit card.

I know that Adorama is generally well regarded, or I would not have ordered from them in the first place. Mistakes happen, but I really don't understand why it had to require so much effort on my part to get them to rectify their mistakes on my order. From now on, I will only deal with reliable performers, like:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Not really. My credit card company (VISA) won't cancel authorization (even though I asked them to). In fact, they said they don't cancel any transactions until you receive your monthy statement and dispute the transaction, in writing.

Simpler and less hassle in this instance would have been just not dealing with Adorama.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    you could have gone through your credit card company and had the transaction cancelled on your end. Much quicker and less hassel
    Recently, I won an item from eBay, and the seller *never* shipped. I went through all the eBay screens and complaint sections - MAJOR frustrations, to say the least.
    Finally, my wife, who has worked in the Credit - MasterCard area of my bank for *many* moons, took charge - and managed to connect with a human being in the MasterCard - Capital One outfit on the other side. I thnk there is some sort of code-language these people use.
    Within 15 minutes I had an e-mail notifying me that MC had executed a "chargeback" to this sleaze's account, and instructing me to hold any records of the transaction - just in case. MC said they had done it - and would worry about "details" later. I haven't heard a word about the chargeback since (two months) except for an e-mail from the sleaze-seller squealing like a - what I think he is.

It is unfortunate, though, that anyone who does NOT have "connections on the inside" should have to go through such a tangled mess to reverse a swindler's actions.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    Recently, I won an item from eBay, and the seller *never* shipped. I went through all the eBay screens and complaint sections - MAJOR frustrations, to say the least.
    This wouldn't be a certain Ebay seller from New York state that deals mostly in paper and film? If it is they did the same to me. I didn't have any trouble with my CC company. I phoned them up they asked a few questions then sent me a form out to sign and that was that. Had my money in the time it took for the form to get back to them by mail.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've had good experience with Adorama, both used & new; plus they ship chemicals, unlike B&H. Only complaint is their shipping prices are higher than B&H. Except for one transaction, my experience with eBay has also been positive.

I do all my ordering via internet with no problems - don't have to deal with arrogant salesman. The fact that only local camera store is going digital re-inforces my internet usage. Kind'a funny that a digital media has enabled me to more-easily pursue non-digital photography.

Well Adorama just shipped me a back order. Took them quite a while but it wasn't a big item nor that important to me. I'd already gotten it from B&H. OTOH it cost them $14 to ship me the $5 item. I think they lost money on the deal.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin