Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,053   Online: 1137

Shooter
    Medium Format

Sekonic Digilite F L328

I have a sekonic digilite F L328 meter which I like a lot and is spot on for metering, but, the ambient light reading is exactly 2 stops out. I know this and routinely set the meter for iso100 while using ISO400 film etc etc no problem. The pain is that the flash metering is spot on speed. So, if I am measuring mixed lighting sources, I have to start doing calculations and then I get it wrong; disastrous! I checked it once against a new 628? and that was way out so I guess all meters have some inaccuracy that photographers are aware of. It's just the meter reading good for flash and out for ambient. Sekonic's UK distributors said it would cost more to repair than a new unit so I am wondering if I can adjust it myself? How do I get in to it then? Questions, questions. Anybody out there that can help me?
    Richard Harris

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Richard; just discovered this post - so sorry for the belated reply.

I have the same meter and find it very accurate, I have compared it against two other meters and they agree both in reflected mode and incident mode. May I be so bold in asking you how you use the meter?

I incident mode you have the white translucent sphere mounted on the meter and at the subject point the white sphere toward the camera and take the reading. If this is what you are doing and the readings are two stops off then something is wrong with the meter.

If you are using the white sphere for taking reflected readings, ie pointing the sphere toward the subject that would explain why you are about 2 stops off.

Hope this helps

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mike,

thanks for the reply. Yes I am using it correctly in incident mode with the sphere. The same way I use it for flash. It's perfect with flash and 2 stops over for incident/ambient ie it would read f16 rather than f8.
    I have never used it for reflected light, can't see a lot of point when my slr and medium format have accurate metering prisms.

Richard.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin